Best high-end kits for 2020?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,
I've been wanting to try to turn a pen from a high-end kit for some time. Since I am new to the hobby, does anyone know of really high-end/quality pen kits?
I have experience with the Byron from Prokraft by the way.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Try the Jr. Statesman, the Jr. Emperor, and similar. . Also the non-Jr. full-size versions by the same names.

Other kit names to check out are Imperial, Lotus.

Warning: - Prepare yourself for the prices, not to mention the satisfaction

1shootist

Check out Exotic blanks website . Type "Dayacom" in the search bar there. These are higher quality kits.

Its not a guarantee but usually the better kits are from Taiwan while the "general selection" of kits are made in China.

Try the Jr. Statesman, the Jr. Emperor, and similar. . Also the non-Jr. full-size versions by the same names.

Other kit names to check out are Imperial, Lotus.

Warning: - Prepare yourself for the prices, not to mention the satisfaction
Would you be so kind and provided links/shop names please? Also, which one writes the best from in you opinion?

magpens

Would you be so kind and provided links/shop names please? Also, which one writes the best from in you opinion?

I think the best place to buy is ..... www.exoticblanks.com ..... they are most likely to have. . . I saw listings there this morning.
Also try ..... www.beartoothwoods.com .....

You can always do a google search for, for example, ..... emperor pen kit

As for which is the best for writing ..... I think that depends on which refill you use for the rollerball pens, and which nib you install in the fountain pens (also the ink and paper). . . A lot also depends on your personal preference and "feel" for the writing experience.

By the way, my all time favorite pen kit is the Jr. Emperor based on styling and quality parts.

I should also say ..... since this is your first day here ..... Warm welcome to IAP !! . :D :D :D

I think the best place to buy is ..... www.exoticblanks.com ..... they are most likely to have. . . I saw listings there this morning.
Also try ..... www.beartoothwoods.com .....

You can always do a google search for, for example, ..... emperor pen kit

As for which is the best for writing ..... I think that depends on which refill you use for the rollerball pens, and which nib you install in the fountain pens (also the ink and paper). . . A lot also depends on your personal preference and "feel" for the writing experience.

By the way, my all time favorite pen kit is the Jr. Emperor based on styling and quality parts.

I should also say ..... since this is your first day here ..... Warm welcome to IAP !! . :D :D :D
Thank you for the recommendation! Will surely buyone of them, thinking the Gentleman and Emperor/Lotus.
Also thanks for the welcome!

jttheclockman

Now as mentioned the so called highend kits mentioned are very well made and platings last. But what is highend to one person may not be the same to another. Yes Dayacom is the top of the line highend kit dealer and maker hands down and can not be disputed. Exotics and a few other vendors carry a few of their pens but not many because they are tough to get and buy in bulk. Lots of inventory to lay on the shelf waiting for that one person to buy one or two kits. They are very pricey but if selling you can make your money back if you know how to sell your wares.

But let me throw a kit out there that because is made for PSI does not get played well. PSI is a company that is known for its gimmick kits and ones I am not crazy about. But I am about to use the JR Majestic kit along with the letter opener from the same series and it is going to look fantastic because of the blank I am using and it will enhance the kit more-so. Take a look at the Majestic, Majestic JR, Majestic Squire ( form of the Sierra kit) and also the Majestic letter opener. I am going to show an example I made recently. The swarovski crystals in the clip can be changed out and you can make your own insert. As I did on this one. Very nice kits and are highend and not as expensive as Dayacom. Always can get sales like now.
Copy of IMGP0392.JPG

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are looking for something for Christmas and you are in the Czech republic, probably better to look outside the USA.

Shipping from here is running 4 weeks or more for international---Beartoothwoods has a large red notice stating the same is happening to them.

If you have all the time in the world, yes, the Dayacom kits are a great suggestion as is the Majestic line--but time has to be unimportant, right now.

Welcome to IAP!!! We try NOT to disappoint you!!
"Ed from ExoticBlanks"

If you are looking for something for Christmas and you are in the Czech republic, probably better to look outside the USA.

Shipping from here is running 4 weeks or more for international---Beartoothwoods has a large red notice stating the same is happening to them.

If you have all the time in the world, yes, the Dayacom kits are a great suggestion as is the Majestic line--but time has to be unimportant, right now.

Welcome to IAP!!! We try NOT to disappoint you!!
"Ed from ExoticBlanks"
Hi! I still think I will buy from EB... Agentleman and a Majestic Jr... Any other suggestions? By the way, thanks for the info!

magpens

Hi! I still think I will buy from EB... Agentleman and a Majestic Jr... Any other suggestions? By the way, thanks for the info!

If you are serious about HIGH END, you really should give serious consideration to the Jr. Emperor ... the 2 you mention are in lower classes.

By the way, what about Beaufort ink Mistral and Leveche?

What do you think about those compared to the jrs?

These, also, ... although they are very nice ... are not quite in the same class as the Emperors.

jttheclockman

If you are serious about HIGH END, you really should give serious consideration to the Jr. Emperor ... the 2 you mention are in lower classes.

These, also, ... although they are very nice ... are not quite in the same class as the Emperors.
Come on Mal The majestic line is just as highend. The Imperial is a better looking kit. That is one of my all time favorite highend kits.

magpens

John, in all due respect, I do not agree that the Majestic is in the same class as the Emperor.

If you want to call the Majestic "high end" then it requires a re-definition of the term.

I know that you, in general, don't go for the pen kits that come from the same vendor as the Majestic, so I kinda think that you have the same gut feeling that I do. . Sure, the Majestic is a step above many of the kits from that vendor ..... but ..... it's a big "but" ..... Come on John !!!!

"Come on Mal" ???? .... Come on John !!!!

jttheclockman

John, in all due respect, I do not agree that the Majestic is in the same class as the Emperor.

If you want to call the Majestic "high end" then it requires a re-definition of the term.

I know that you, in general, don't go for the pen kits that come from the same vendor as the Majestic, so I kinda think that you have the same gut feeling that I do. . Sure, the Majestic is a step above many of the kits from that vendor ..... but ..... it's a big "but" ..... Come on John !!!!

"Come on Mal" ???? .... Come on John !!!!
Mal if you look back at my original statement. What some people call highend and others may not but we will have to agree to disagree on the Emporer. Yes it is a nice kit too for sure. My suggestion was to step down in price and still be able to own a highend kit in my opinion so yes Mal come on!!!! All the Emporer has is a gold striping down the clip and majestic has a crystal. Basically the exact same kit with the same plating combos. Take another look.

Last edited:
Well, Obi-Wan's "visible consusion" would kinda fit here now šŸ˜….
I give both of these kits a big thumbs up.
Thanks for that, if I need some lower end (than the Dayacoms), I will take a look

Yeah, I am serious about high end, though I thought of something a bit less... over the top? Flashy? If you say the emperor is better though, I will reconsider. Looking forward the high end in quality more than flashines, but I digress.
One more thing: what cartridges do they take? Also, how much a problem would it be to use Parker ink with them?

magpens

Also, should I consider the nib upgrade options for the Emperor and the others?

@LukeCZE97

I'll have to leave the choice of nibs and inks to you ..... perhaps others can advise you if necessary.

I am not expert in those areas ..... but I do have very strong opinions about kit quality !!! . LOL ! šŸ˜ :D ;)

Ok, so:
Emperor is off the list now (will buy later though...) - does someone know (again, high end) somewhere in the UK? Beaufort, or something else?
Thanks again for all the help!

magpens

@LukeCZE97

Just curious ....... what did you choose to make after all the back-and-forth "opinionating" above ?

( I realize that you may not even see this post since you are recorded as "last seen" here on Nov 26, 2020. )

Top Bottom