Best glue for wood-to-wood segmenting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hannah

I recently obtained some old ebony piano keys. They're too narrow to use a single key as a blank, so I need to fix them together length-wise.

Those who do a lot of segmenting - what is your preferred glue? CA? Gorilla glue? Epoxy? Does it depend on the wood?

I was thinking of tinting some epoxy black in the hope that there wouldn't be a visible stripe of glue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

No question. Titebond. The glue is stronger than the wood. Rough up the glue surfaces with sandpaper. and clamp.

ramaroodle

Titebond II for my indoor use wood glue.
Wipe the surfaces with acetone if there's any oils.
+1 about the acetone especially since you're using ebony. It's oily. And when you drill it keep the bit cool with DNA and clear of chavings. As long as you're using Titebond I'd suggest Titebond Hide Glue as a test. Just let it cure overnight.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I am going to differ with all above because I have used ebony and it is a oily wood. Normally I would use Titebond II for wood to wood adhesion. Titebond III is just a weather version of the glue. But I would use epoxy with some black paint mixed in. I would roughen the surfaces to add some tooth to them. Never had a segmented pen fail yet.

ramaroodle

I am going to differ with all above because I have used ebony and it is a oily wood. Normally I would use Titebond II for wood to wood adhesion. Titebond III is just a weather version of the glue. But I would use epoxy with some black paint mixed in. I would roughen the surfaces to add some tooth to them. Never had a segmented pen fail yet.
I can't say as I would disagree. Epoxy might do the trick too. I use epoxy between wood and metal but have had the best luck with tight bond when joining wood segments. CA is useless for this kind of stuff in my opinion. It has no sheer strength and dries too brittle.

hannah

Thanks everyone, I have quite a few piano keys so I'll give both methods a try.

@jttheclockman you posted a Celtic knot pen somewhere on here with tinted epoxy and I loved the faint black border it gave. Going to have to try that on my next segmenting project.

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone, I have quite a few piano keys so I'll give both methods a try.

@jttheclockman you posted a Celtic knot pen somewhere on here with tinted epoxy and I loved the faint black border it gave. Going to have to try that on my next segmenting project.
Here you go. Black acrylic and aluminum and epoxy System3 T88 glue with system 3 black epoxy dye.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0144.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0144.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom