Best glue for designer pen feature ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pegasus70

I'm not exactly sure what the part is called so I will refer to it as a "designer ring". Feel free to correct me so I don;t seem so ignorant. But that isn't the question. On the Penn State Industries Designer pen kits and woodcraft European style pen kits there is a metal ring that slides over a tenon turned into the bottm end of the top half of the pen. I have been using medium thick CA to glue it in but wonder if anyone has a better idea about how to apply it or about what glue to use. I find it difficult to put in just the right amount of glue. Too much and the stuff ends up oozing out onto my oh so carefully prepared finish. Too litte and the ring falls off before too long. Any experienced pen turners have any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pegasus70

It is supposed to be a friction fit I believe.
I can usually achieve a reasonable friction fit but that never seems to hold up long term. be off by a couple thousands of an inch perhaps and the friction fit is not tight enough for long term stability... at least in my experience.

TonyL

I can usually achieve a reasonable friction fit but that never seems to hold up long term. be off by a couple thousands of an inch perhaps and the friction fit is not tight enough for long term stability... at least in my experience.
It is not...it will always turn. I used a very small amount of epoxy. I don't make them any more though.

Chasper

I think you may be describing cutting a tendon and press fitting a center band directly on to the exposed tube. I use thick CA. Two tiny drops on the inside metal part should do the job. Put the adhesive on the piece you are pressing on, not on the exposed tube to keep it oozing out on to your turning. Epoxy would probably hold even better, but is not really necessary.

pegasus70

I think you may be describing cutting a tendon and press fitting a center band directly on to the exposed tube. I use thick CA. Two tiny drops on the inside metal part should do the job. Put the adhesive on the piece you are pressing on, not on the exposed tube to keep it oozing out on to your turning. Epoxy would probably hold even better, but is not really necessary.

Center band. Of course! That is what it is called. I knew that. This getting old thing is not easy.

As to your suggestion, I was referring to a turned tenon onto which the center band is placed. But the principle sis the same. I have been doing it by putting the glue on the tenon then adding the center band. I hadn't tried putting the glue on the band rather than the tenon. An obvious solution I should have thought of. Like I said. this getting old thing is tough..

1shootist

I only made a few of the european designer pens that require cutting a tenon for the center band...on all of them I used 2 part JB Weld epoxy. All are still holding fine.
Early on I had issues with CA coming loose so I've used only 2 part epoxy since and haven't had any problems.

studioseven

I use a light dose of med CA glue. Be careful you don't overdue it and squeeze excess CA on the finished blank.

Seven

Top Bottom