Best finish on a bottle stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Neededwill

Neededwill

What is the best finish for a bottle stopper? Easiest finish? Safest finish? I know there will be all kinds of opinions but just curious.

I use eee and shellawax friction polish currently.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

The easiest finish is either a pure oil, or else some kind of friction polish.

In terms of safety - that question is likely to draw some debate. I believe that any finish is 'food safe' once it fully cures. That said, I would be hesitant to use a shellac-based friction polish on a stopper that will be used with wine because alcohol can soften the shellac. I don't think there would be any problem with a lacquer-based friction polish.

I use two applications of Tung oil on stoppers that have a captive ring - the first diluted 1:1 in turpentine, and the second full strength. The main argument is that this is fast and can be applied on the floating ring without concern for 'gluing' it to the body of the stopper. On stoppers that are solid turnings, my preference is for gloss WOP. Fully cured WOP is food safe and alcohol resistant, and it also looks pretty nice. But it takes longer to apply the 4-6 coats that I prefer.

PaulDoug

Paul, are you referring to a spray? Also what brand do you recommend and do you sand after or buff?

Well, the last one I used was ACE brand (as in ACE Hardware) Instant Drying Lacquer. It gave me a high gloss with a very hard finish. I put it on a well sanded bottle stopper, and applied about 5 coats. That was it. Yes, I mean spray can. I say rattle can because when empty, I take out the marble and put it in a Coke bottle in my work shop. Drives my Grandkids crazy, they want my marbles. Some reason they think those marbles are special.

Top Bottom