Best Finish for Hybrids?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I use CA.
Why?
Because almost all woods require a finish and CA is the most "universally appropriate" for long life on wood pens.
But CA is not the best for AA blanks, or for Alumilite blanks, or for other "acrylics". . No finish (nothing) is best for them, IMHO.
You have to make a compromise for hybrids, so I use CA.
After all, with a hybrid blank, it is impossible to finish the wood part with CA and finish the "acrylic" part with my usual for "acrylic" (nothing).

So what do you think of my "answer" to your question ? . You DO have an obligation to reply, you know ....... LOL ! . I'm watching !! :)

TonyL

What do you use to finish Hybrid blanks? I've heard everything from CA Glue to wax, to no finish at all! What do you use and why?
Thanks!
I use the same CA finish process as if it were all wood. It is what I bet; not The Best.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Waxes are temporary protectors and wear off quickly. They are excellent if one waxes frequently and consistently, not so good if it is a one time or two time deal.

CA is the all round best in terms of shine, wear resistant, and quick. IF time is no issue, other clear paint type finishes may do.

JohnU

I use GluBoost finish. It's thought of as a CA but it's also a finish, not just a glue. It self levels where the two materials meet giving a smooth transition. ( Depending on the wood, often times hybrids turns and sands easier on the wood part than the resin part, leaving a divot or low feeling where they meet). It's also flexible so it doesn't crack or yellow. I've had that happen with of CA finishes over time.
(Didn't mean for the commercial, I don't work for them. Their product just works for me.).

Top Bottom