Best Click Pen Kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rickster

I hope this is the right place for this.

I prefer click pens because they are the most efficient to use.
I am wondering what the best kits are.
From experience the Berea Sierra clicks are not.
I have had mechanical and wear issues with them.
Nor am I impressed with PSI Slimline clicks.
However, PSI's Every Day Carry pens seem easy to assemble and are holding up well, so far.

What are other peoples experiences?

Thanks for the help,

Rickster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Rick and welcome. This question came up not long ago. When I get time tonight I will give it a go to see if I can find that thread. I even got alot of good info from it as well because I too would like to make a few clicks.

PatrickR

This is my preference

otherwise many of the kits that use 8mm tubes can be customized to use a schmidt mechanism and made into a single barrel if you prefer it.

Curly

Just finished making a Luxor from William Wood-write. Uses a Schmidt click mechanism. I like it.

DuraClick EDC is another that uses the Schmidt Mechanism. Knurling has to appeal to you though.

I used a Tempest for quite a while and liked it until I put it in my pocket and broke it.

Pete

Forgot the disclaimer. My wife, Marla makes pen blanks for the above.

magpens

I highly recommend the Luxor from William Wood-Write. . . I believe it is proprietary to that company ( URL given above by Curly ).

The Luxor uses the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism . . . . same mechanism as the PSI DuraClick EDC.

I prefer the Luxor over the DuraClick. . . Not a big fan of the knurling on the DuraClick, or of its overall geometry

Here is a quick peak at the Luxor family of pens with its variety of platings . . .

I know that you don't like the Sierra Click, and I share your reservations about it.
But if you go to the Elegant Sierra, or the Sierra Elegant Beauty, you might find a clicker to your liking . . . highly recommended also.

Also, the Aero Click is an extremely nice pen and very reliable. . . This comes from the Dayacom company and is sold by Craft Supplies USA.

Last edited:

Alan Morrison

The Tempest from Beaufort Ink, ( also available at Turners warehouse ) is first class.
I highly recommend it.

Alan

penicillin

Are you referring the Slimline Pro? I know others who don't like them, but I like them. Perhaps it is the loud, firm click mechanism that they don't like. The reason I like them is that they are "right sized" for me - not to slim, not too fat. So far, I haven't had any issues with the mechanism in any of them. They just work. My favorite pen and pencil set (everyday use at my desk) are Slimline Pros.

One warning about making the Slimline Pro:
The design absolutely depends on getting the length of each blank perfectly correct. If you sand or mill too much off the end, the pen tip will protrude too far. If you leave a little bit of pen blank over the tube, the pen tip will not protrude far enough. I always check the lengths with calipers before turning.

Joebobber

I really like the artisan clicker, that long one with no center ring. The only issue is it feels cheap and is noisy. That's 2 issues... 😆

its_virgil

There are several click pens that use the Schmidt SKM-88 all metal click mechanism. I refused to make click pens until the schmidt click mechanism became available. I've had too many other click pens fail. I have been using a couple of clicks with the Schmidt clicker and they are great. I have been a sierra fan since it was introduced(but not the clicks). I have been using a Sierra Super button click (with the Schmdt SKM-88 clicker) since it was first introduced and have no complaints. (personally, I am not a big click fan).
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I hope this is the right place for this.

I prefer click pens because they are the most efficient to use.
I am wondering what the best kits are.
From experience the Berea Sierra clicks are not.
I have had mechanical and wear issues with them.
However, PSI's Every Day Carry pens seem easy to assemble and are holding up well, so far.

What are other peoples experiences?

Thanks for the help,

Rickster
Beaufort Inks ( https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/ )make the best click pen kit I have found - Tempest. They are very reliable. I have made hundreds and not one has failed. I think that someone in the States retails them.

Top Bottom