Best brand for bradpoint bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm looking to get varying sizes in a kit preferably and have quality ones at that. Any suggestions for mm sized bits in kits and where to buy them for best quality to price?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I found another thread about this. Sorry I must've missed it. Still will appreciate the information but I seem to have found a thread already. Sorry.

magpens

@Ridgewoodworks

If you are planning to use bradpoint drill bits in your pen making I would advise you to ask what other IAP member experiences have been.

I have this nagging feeling that they are not highly recommended by some people who have tried them.

Something about the bits wandering off axis when drilling end grain, perhaps ???

@Ridgewoodworks

If you are planning to use bradpoint drill bits in your pen making I would advise you to ask what other IAP member experiences have been.

I have this nagging feeling that they are not highly recommended by some people who have tried them.

Something about the bits wandering off axis when drilling end grain, perhaps ???
Oh I hadnt though of that it just what I've started with and use. It seemed to work but that does sound interesting. Maybe I should be using a different type?

magpens

Oh I hadnt though of that it just what I've started with and use. It seemed to work but that does sound interesting. Maybe I should be using a different type?

Maybe .....

Check with others here on IAP how many people use bradpoints and what brand.

I have never used bradpoints for pens. . I think most pen-makers use the standard jobber size twist drills that machinists use.

There was a thread recently along this line; a number of our members mentioned that they use the Norseman brand of drills.

I think this might be the thread:

MiteyF

Funny, I ONLY use brad points, because the regular jobbers tear so badly, especially in certain woods.

howsitwork

I use a hybrid bit made by Black and decker called Pirana cnc hitek these have a central nib type,point an outer cutting edges but not as pronounced as lip and spur bits. Only found them 8n metric whole number sizes rather than fine eg 0.1mm increments. For finer adjustments I use other jobber engineering bits I have.

For end grain I found lip and spur tended to wander too much.

egnald

Woodcraft often has brad point sets that go on sale both in metric and imperial sizes. I think when I bought mine they were about half price - around $25 per 25ish piece sets, so only about $1 per bit. So far they have been working out great for me - Dave

Top Bottom