Best Blank Material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I really like Inlace Acrylester blanks. They are a dog to work with because they are so brittle But they are beautiful. I am guessing that they would be difficult to thread. Are there particular blanks that are preferred or avoided including various species of wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Two wood ones that are problematic are snakewood and black palm. I have tried neither, but have seen lots of discussions on them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Various horn, some ebonies do not like sunlight while inside a closed up hot car. Actually any wood can be affected by that scenario, but those in particular.

JamesC

I really like Inlace Acrylester blanks. They are a dog to work with because they are so brittle But they are beautiful. I am guessing that they would be difficult to thread. Are there particular blanks that are preferred or avoided including various species of wood.
I like The Inlace material as well. Not a big deal to insert a piece or tap friendly material. Lot of cool alumilite coloythat really look good with the Inlace.
Jim

Mortalis

Two wood ones that are problematic are snakewood and black palm. I have tried neither, but have seen lots of discussions on them.
I have turned both and both IMO are awful. They both gave me some breathing problems after I had turned them (which subsided after a few hours) and taught me that valuable lesson of wearing a mask before turning anything for the first time. The Black Palm split on me after a year or so and frankly doesn't look all that great after it is turned.
The Snakewood is very had wood to turn.

Mortalis

I like bloodwood and amboyna, HRB is like putty.
I find that you need really sharp tools and need to find the right speed and feed for turning the acrylics. I believe that sharp tools is the key.

wimkluck

I did not have any problems when turning snakewood and ebony. I made a few and all split after some time. I have problems with breathing when i am working with cedar wood. When sanding i always wear a mask.

Top Bottom