Bespoke/ kitless pen making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello! I hope all of you are safe. I have see a lot of very cool looking pens that I am very interested in making. I later found out that were called kitless. I have done a significant amount of research and haven't really found a whole lot. I'm not sure if I am looking in the correct places but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what tools, where to buy and how to make them. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I think there is is an article in the library regarding tools.

Youtube videos...one is by Rob woodturner. There are a couple of other guys who have posted videos

There have been tools for sale by members here recently. Some may still be available.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

TDahl

I referred to both the Pen Turner's Bible and the videos from RJB Woodturner when starting out making kitless (Bespoke) pens. The video Dyno posted above also includes a listing of sources of the equipment recommended in making kitless pens.

jttheclockman

Hello! I hope all of you are safe. I have see a lot of very cool looking pens that I am very interested in making. I later found out that were called kitless. I have done a significant amount of research and haven't really found a whole lot. I'm not sure if I am looking in the correct places but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what tools, where to buy and how to make them. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Look under Advanced pen making and you will find alot of threads on kitless pens.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know what you really want to do, but in two separate threads, there are hints than you haven't turned any pens or purchased much, if any, tools yet. It has been suggested that you try some basics before jumping into kit-less. Going kit-less on the first pen is akin to trying the first driving experience ever - in Formula 1 racing, or first swimming experience in a rip tide.

Get to know the tools and what they each do, and how each "feels" in your hands; get to know the feed back. Get to know the feel of turning different woods or different kinds of acrylics/cast blanks. With Kit-less, will you be using tubes or without tubes? Knowing the feel of the cast blanks or different woods is important. Tubes add strength in most cases and also weight. Some are able to make kitless without tubes. experience goes a long way. There is nothing wrong with having Kitless as your one and only goal, but getting to that will require a skill set that comes with lots of practice under different circumstances.

Learning all the differences and different "feel" and feedback while trying to make a delicate pen at the same time will lead to hundreds of questions as to "why" something did this or that. Often times the problems will be a combination of two or three different things all at once. This is why learning the basics with simple pens helps to identify both skills learned, different feel/feedback and problem solving - instead of trying to learn them all - all at once.

It should be assumed that in turning a kitless pen, you know the turning characteristics, strengths and weaknesses and feel of the different kinds of cast blanks and of different kinds of woods. OF the instructions of the different links and YouTubes above, the author of those take it for granted that once someone begins working on a kitless pen, that they have enough experience to skip the basics. They will not be telling you the basic characteristics that will be causing you problems.

Go for your goal, but learn the skills needed to get you there.

I know what you really want to do, but in two separate threads, there are hints than you haven't turned any pens or purchased much, if any, tools yet. It has been suggested that you try some basics before jumping into kit-less. Going kit-less on the first pen is akin to trying the first driving experience ever - in Formula 1 racing, or first swimming experience in a rip tide.

Get to know the tools and what they each do, and how each "feels" in your hands; get to know the feed back. Get to know the feel of turning different woods or different kinds of acrylics/cast blanks. With Kit-less, will you be using tubes or without tubes? Knowing the feel of the cast blanks or different woods is important. Tubes add strength in most cases and also weight. Some are able to make kitless without tubes. experience goes a long way. There is nothing wrong with having Kitless as your one and only goal, but getting to that will require a skill set that comes with lots of practice under different circumstances.

Learning all the differences and different "feel" and feedback while trying to make a delicate pen at the same time will lead to hundreds of questions as to "why" something did this or that. Often times the problems will be a combination of two or three different things all at once. This is why learning the basics with simple pens helps to identify both skills learned, different feel/feedback and problem solving - instead of trying to learn them all - all at once.

It should be assumed that in turning a kitless pen, you know the turning characteristics, strengths and weaknesses and feel of the different kinds of cast blanks and of different kinds of woods. OF the instructions of the different links and YouTubes above, the author of those take it for granted that once someone begins working on a kitless pen, that they have enough experience to skip the basics. They will not be telling you the basic characteristics that will be causing you problems.

Go for your goal, but learn the skills needed to get you there.
Thank You Hank. I apreciate the insight. I am not the best at writing, and I have been making pens. I would agree When I first turned It was all wood and then I switched to woodcrafts acrylics and it scared me the first time i turned. and then about 6 months ago i started allumilite casting and that stuff is a dream to turn. I am not a master by any strech, but I really want to be. im in high school and this is my favorite hobby and its almost the only thing I do besides school. I will take your advise to heart and work to progress my skills. Thank you for responding. :)

NT_2112

I'm one of those types that often just goes my own way.

My first pen was kitless. I almost went down the path of making pens using kits and all the accouterments that go with kit pens (mandrels, pen kits, glue, etc).

But I watched some videos and did some research and decided to just make a kitless.

This was my 1st attempt:

207875-53ece5ff3c15e28a01c74ae5ddb87971.jpg

207876-60b65c7137cb2e63e0e35a4ed33fd5a5.jpg

207880-2fd37aead12cbc305c3afb52e8b12fe6.jpg

207878-fa5fab77bd06500ac36aa9ce8a4505ee.jpg

207879-38a09c5b62504faf6aebace31e2535b1.jpg

I even made my own custom mandrels out of aluminum.

So, it's possible to jump right into kitless making. I made my first one with just a metal lathe, a digital caliper, two tap/die sets from amazon (not triple threaded), some drill bits, the custom mandrel I made, some sand paper and polish.

I haven't made a lot of progress over the last year, between selling my house and health issues 2020 sucked. But I hope to get back into things right after I move in Feb/March.

I always liked this quote: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." ― George Bernard Shaw

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thank You Hank. I apreciate the insight. I am not the best at writing, and I have been making pens. I would agree When I first turned It was all wood and then I switched to woodcrafts acrylics and it scared me the first time i turned. and then about 6 months ago i started allumilite casting and that stuff is a dream to turn. I am not a master by any strech, but I really want to be. im in high school and this is my favorite hobby and its almost the only thing I do besides school. I will take your advise to heart and work to progress my skills. Thank you for responding. :)
OK, you added some comments that were not in the original post. Creative Youth (2 % of them) do see things differently and discover new ways to do things! GREAT! You have some experience that you did not mention, only that you were asking "what tools, where to buy, how to make" . . . those are generally questions of someone with no experience, - but you do have experience! With that information, the reply changes. I have never made signs before, but I have years of router experience and 200+ router bits, therefore Making Signs - is not something that I need to start from the beginning. (I made my first sign recently and amazed everyone - except me.) If I had asked about sign making without letting others know about my experience, I would have gotten an answer for a beginner. You are not a beginner.

I admire your humbleness and ask that you show us some of the things you learn in the process. Those not limited by traditional constraints of old people discover new paths! 🙂 Along this line - I lived overseas 25+ years as a missionary. We decided to update some of our demographic data and ideas. Traditionally, outsiders look upon those of that country as highly educated a whole group. I made the comment that there were not as many college graduates as perceived. I was ridiculed over that statement, but as the research was done, it was found out that my observations were dead on! The reason was: major companies had job fairs on college campuses and hired 2nd and 3rd year students before they finished. They did not want graduate students that had become set in their ways. They wanted students that were still malleable and creative!

Stay creative!

WNY (NT_2112) above post - Stay creative!

Top Bottom