Bespoke - Bock Section Application #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gregory Hardy

Gregory Hardy

I used blue ebonite (with slight black grain lines) for the barrel and cap of this pen. The trim is done with black ebonite, and the white rings were credit cards in their last lives. (It was actually my secretary's AARP card, though I am certain that she is far too young for membership.) The inlaid pearl end dots were ones I made years ago from shell I rendered down, no doubt taking years off my life in the process. This pen features a black Bock #5 nib and a black Bock section. I had been anxious to try one of the sections – it was a fun alternative to my usual ebonite section design. Comments and criticisms (except for my photography) are welcomed.
Merry Christmas, all.

Attachments

• 1 Closed.jpg
    1 Closed.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 2 Open.jpg
    2 Open.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 3 End Caps.jpg
    3 End Caps.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Hardy

Thanks for the nice words, guys. I have discovered that if I don't polish the ebonite (I wet sand with acrylic finishing pads, but no final polishing compound), it gives a smooth but low-luster finish...half way between satin (with texture) and gloss. It just feels good in the hand and rapidly becoming my finish of choice for pens I'll be using myself. Thanks again - this was a really fun one to make.

Gregory Hardy

Magnificent Pen Gregory,
Beautiful Blanks, Profile and Proportions
Excellent Machining, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks, Brian. I had you in mind when I was working on this one. My last bespoke pen was red ebonite with black trimmings and you noted that some sort of separation in color would be an improvement as the red was so dark. Keeping your advice in mind, I added the accent white rings to this one just to "break things up a bit," and your keen eye was right again! Thanks for the nice critique and the earlier advice.
-G

Mintman

Magnificent Pen Gregory,
Beautiful Blanks, Profile and Proportions
Excellent Machining, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thanks, Brian. I had you in mind when I was working on this one. My last bespoke pen was red ebonite with black trimmings and you noted that some sort of separation in color would be an improvement as the red was so dark. Keeping your advice in mind, I added the accent white rings to this one just to "break things up a bit," and your keen eye was right again! Thanks for the nice critique and the earlier advice.
-G
Absolutely beautiful pen Greg! I love the shape and accents!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really like the over all profile! The white rings also add a nice element. And the muted luster finish is very nice.

Seldom do I find no suggestions... But, this is one! :wink:

More4dan

A question about your Bock section, is the Bock Feed (the part normally inside a front section) screwed directly into the pen body? If not, the front section has a very similar profile to the factory Bock feed.

The pen is absolutely beautiful and the white stripes are a wonderful accent. I look forward to seeing more of your work. I have found the Bock #5 feed tends to lead to long slender front sections vs. the JOWO #5. Really looks nice on your pen.

Danny

Top Bottom