Berlin Ball Pen in Nut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris_11

Hello,

that is a Berlin pen in nut. Its definitely not perfect but I am in my first weeks of pen turning. I did cut the wood by 45 degrees to make the grain coming better out. It is a challenge to keep the drilling in line on diagonal cut wood. Best seem to be low rev and start with a shorter drill. This is without a brass tube and has only a 6.3mm (1/4 inch) drill hole. From both sides a M7x0,75 thread, which holds surprisingly well in wood. I make the thread with a Akku drill by hand, since the higher rev than hand turning the thread makes it easier to cut a thread in wood.

I struggled with the CA finish, since the new bought CA is probably already too old. Have to buy new one tomorrow.
Any hints are welcome.

br
Christian

EEB4A49A-1967-4430-98BC-F7F16975EA61.jpeg
4D9DD15B-B235-418A-A046-00EBAF932D0D.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice pen !!

Where did you buy the Berlin pen kit ? . I have not heard of it before now.

I like the fact that it uses the Schmidt SKM-88 click mechanism.

rbuonfiglio

Hello,

that is a Berlin pen in nut. Its definitely not perfect but I am in my first weeks of pen turning. I did cut the wood by 45 degrees to make the grain coming better out. It is a challenge to keep the drilling in line on diagonal cut wood. Best seem to be low rev and start with a shorter drill. This is without a brass tube and has only a 6.3mm (1/4 inch) drill hole. From both sides a M7x0,75 thread, which holds surprisingly well in wood. I make the thread with a Akku drill by hand, since the higher rev than hand turning the thread makes it easier to cut a thread in wood.

I struggled with the CA finish, since the new bought CA is probably already too old. Have to buy new one tomorrow.
Any hints are welcome.

br
Christian

View attachment 296149View attachment 296150
Looks a lot like the Tenacious Click Pen kit from Woodcraft, which does use a brass tube, which could make it easier (no threading needed), and I've made a few of these, and I use one myself.
Great job on the diagonal grain!!
I've tried CA but prefer Friction Polish (Myland's) or a penetrating oil finish, since that has a richness to it, even if less of a high gloss.

LK&T

Hello,

Any hints are welcome.

br
Christian

View attachment 296149View attachment 296150
Nice job on the pen, especially the diagonal grain. Also nice proportionally. The CA finish looks even and devoid of scratches, at least in these photos. If you're going for a glassy high gloss finish there's some work to do, but what you have done is pleasing. I personally like minimalist looking kits and am jealous I can't get this one!

Top Bottom