Berea Sierra Fit Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bubba57

Had a couple of Sierra kits whose tubes had gone wherever tubes go when they disappear, and so ordered some extra tubes from Exotic Blanks. I was extremely dismayed to find out that the Sierra nib assembly will drop into the tube without even touching the brass.
Interestingly (in a disturbing way) I started a thread a short time ago complaining about upgrade nibs not fitting the feed properly on a (take a guess)...Berea Baron FP!
Anyone else having fit issues with anything Berea???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The Sierra line is such a widely used name by many makers these days and it is possible the tubes for all kits are just not the same. Maybe a good idea to order from place you purchased.

gtriever

Assuming I haven't misunderstood something, that's normal. The Sierra nib doesn't press into the tube; instead the nib/transmission assembly is held in place by the cap/barrel assembly.

curlyjoe

Not a fountain pen threads are equal. Try changing out the nib and feed instead of the entire insert. I'm sure not every pen kit seller checks all nibs available on the market will fit all the kits. I would not blame them either seeing there is alot available.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The Sierra CLIP end of the blank presses onto the tube; but the tube does not press into the nib end.

Oops, gtriever and CurlyJoe beat me to it.

Bubba57

Well don't I feel the fool. You guys are right about the nib end fit. Bad part is, I made dozens of this type of pen AND had the directions in front of me. Only explanation I can think of is I am still feeling a bit pissy about having four (maybe five) 'Upgrade nibs' that don't fit the FPs they came with and so was looking for some other way for Berea to screw me. The mind sometimes walks in the shadows.
My apologies for hogging bandwidth over a momentary lapse of reason...and thanks.

Bubba57

Well don't I feel the fool. You guys are right about the nib end fit. Bad part is, I made dozens of this type of pen AND had the directions in front of me. Only explanation I can think of is I am still feeling a bit pissy about having four (maybe five) 'Upgrade nibs' that don't fit the FPs they came with and so was looking for some other way for Berea to screw me. The mind sometimes walks in the shadows.
My apologies for hogging bandwidth over a momentary lapse of reason...and thanks.

And PS. Think I'll go assemble my pen now.

jttheclockman

And PS. Think I'll go assemble my pen now.

tell you it has been awhile since I made a sierra too.:):)

leehljp

Member Liaison

Shucks, we all do this at times, some of us (me) :rolleyes: more than others.

Top Bottom