Berea Blade Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

Question on the Berea Blade kit. I use a barrel trimmer for squaring off the ends. I see that this kits calls for a 11/32 drill size, but I do not see any 11/32 pen mill for use with the barrel trimmer. Will a size S work? 11/32 = 0.3438", Size S lists at 0.348" I would think that 0.022 larger would not really be noticable.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Well .... I would say NO, the Size S ( 0.348" ) will NOT work in place of a size 11/32 ( 0.3438" ) ..... but I could be wrong.

If you measure brand new drill bits, right out of the package, they are about 0.002" below the stated size ... that might be a helping factor.

However, I did not know that a Size S barrel trimmer is a thing you can buy off the shelf. . Is it ?

I have never used a barrel trimmer. . I do my end trimming ... all trimming to accurate length ... on the lathe.
You have to do it extremely carefully, mind !! . And it helps to have a decent head stock chuck in which to mount your blank for trimming.

Do you have pin jaws for your head stock chuck ? . Check them out. . For starters, at PSI website, altho' that's not a recommendation

What I have NOT told you is that I do all my pen making operations, including end trimming, on a metal working lathe.
So, consequently, I really do not know what I am talking about when it comes to wood turning lathes.
But something similar to what I am suggesting MUST be possible on a wood lathe ... avoiding the purchase of ANY end mills.

Maybe someone else will chirp in to help you ..... maybe I can learn something from this also ... I'll follow this thread.

BTW ... just re-reading your post ... you say :-

"I would think that 0.022 larger would not really be noticable." . How do you get that number 0.022 ? . Possible mistake ?

You would know that the 11/32 sizing refers to the hole drilled in the blank to accept the brass tube OD .... oversize from the tube.
And also, that the barrel trimmer drill bit has to fit the INTERNAL diameter of the brass tube ... Just trying to clarify if necessary.

And here is another BTW .... I did a search .... there does seem to be, altho' out of stock, an 11/32 end mill shaft (fits ID of 11/32 tube)

Last edited:

hooked

The PSI barrel trimming sleeve set contains an 11/32 sleeve. Not sure if you have that set, but thought I would mention.

The first time I made that kit and was still using a pen mill, I took brass tubing and wrapped with aluminum to the right diameter to get a good fit. I used that as a barrel sleeve for the mill. Not perfect, but it worked.

its_virgil

I too make my own sleeves using scrap material with a 7mm tube inside. Did that for years...never bought sleeves. But now I square penblanks on the lathe using the Rick Harrell squaring jig. Just saying.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RGABEL

Well .... I would say NO, the Size S ( 0.348" ) will NOT work in place of a size 11/32 ( 0.3438" ) ..... but I could be wrong.

If you measure brand new drill bits, right out of the package, they are about 0.002" below the stated size ... that might be a helping factor.

However, I did not know that a Size S barrel trimmer is a thing you can buy off the shelf. . Is it ?

I have never used a barrel trimmer. . I do my end trimming ... all trimming to accurate length ... on the lathe.
You have to do it extremely carefully, mind !! . And it helps to have a decent head stock chuck in which to mount your blank for trimming.

Do you have pin jaws for your head stock chuck ? . Check them out. . For starters, at PSI website, altho' that's not a recommendation

What I have NOT told you is that I do all my pen making operations, including end trimming, on a metal working lathe.
So, consequently, I really do not know what I am talking about when it comes to wood turning lathes.
But something similar to what I am suggesting MUST be possible on a wood lathe ... avoiding the purchase of ANY end mills.

Maybe someone else will chirp in to help you ..... maybe I can learn something from this also ... I'll follow this thread.

BTW ... just re-reading your post ... you say :-

"I would think that 0.022 larger would not really be noticable." . How do you get that number 0.022 ? . Possible mistake ?

You would know that the 11/32 sizing refers to the hole drilled in the blank to accept the brass tube OD .... oversize from the tube.
And also, that the barrel trimmer drill bit has to fit the INTERNAL diameter of the brass tube ... Just trying to clarify if necessary.

And here is another BTW .... I did a search .... there does seem to be, altho' out of stock, an 11/32 end mill shaft (fits ID of 11/32 tube)

Well I guess my math skills escaped me last night. :rolleyes:. I got my first "kit" from Rockler after taking a pen turning class there. My others are whiteside from Craft Supplies. They had a "S" barrel trimmer listed, but no 11/32. My understanding is the barrel trimmer is labeled per the tube drill size, not the actual measurement.

Kenny Durrant

I bought a Whiteside shaft at Woodcraft. I've also taken tape and wrapped shafts and sleeves to take up a little slack. I didn't just start winding the sleeve with tape I put a single wrap at a time not overlapping any ends. It worked fine to get me by in a crunch.

Top Bottom