Benchtop Drill Press Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I do drill on my lathe and have no problems. However, I would like the option of drilling on a drill press. I would like a bench top one. I have a good budget. I only drill pens blanks. I would like a model that could drill at least 5 inches deep. What do you like for a benchtop drill press?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hcpens

Yes, you need to read the specs, but if you are going to do a touch and feel buy, make sure you take the blank press and the longest blank in to the measure. I have a OLD Sears 12' table top drill press and my Rockler Pen Press/Drilling Jig would not work, easily to say the least.

TonyL

Bought it. We will see how it works. Thanks for everyone's feedback and advice.

vtgaryw

I don't have any experience with that particular drill press, but I can say from experience that I've been very underwhelmed with the quality direction that Porter Cable has taken since they've "cheapened" up their designs to sell at the big box home stores.

Gary

TonyL

I have found it easier to center and drill a "perfectly" centered hole on my lathe. However, I also find it slightly more time consuming and less convenient.

I am enjoying have a dedicated drill press (with a 4 inch throw). After a month or two using it, and about 6 pens, I have not been tempted to use my lathe. That may change in the future. I also swore I would never use HSS/skew...now that is all I use and performing a demo at my Woodcraft tomorrow (I am far from an expert, but I do get very good results).

My reasons for preferring the drill press are more impatience-driven. I don't think the motivation is the right one for penturning, but it is for an impatient turner like myself.

Not the best answer, but the truth.

:)

Top Bottom