Bench vice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Looking to buy a small quality vice. Would like to add soft jaws. What do you have ...please suggest. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

With all due respect, there is a big difference between "vice" and "vise."
GWatson,not familiar with the brand you mention in the link.

WriteON

At my age (70) any Vice would be welcome. I have to admit Happiness is walking around in a tool store.

Reading this I got to start my day with a laugh and smile:)

Laugh and the world laughs with you. My wife asks if I want to see a ballet with her.... I reply do you want to walk around Home Depot with me for few hours.
I need vise or vice for holding billiard balls. I used one that I have... put some cardboard on the jaws and drilled. It worked very well but now I want to upgrade.

Attachments

• Pen Holder.jpg
    Pen Holder.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Alan Scrivner

At my age (70) any Vice would be welcome. I have to admit Happiness is walking around in a tool store.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. My wife asks if I want to see a ballet with her.... I reply do you want to walk around Home Depot with me for few hours.
I need vise or vice for holding billiard balls. I used one that I have... put some cardboard on the jaws and drilled. It worked very well but now I want to upgrade.

I know you are asking about a vise, but I've done some drilling in balls (cue balls, too) and found a concave jig on a drill press works best. Much more control.

TonyL

WriteON

I know you are asking about a vise, but I've done some drilling in balls (cue balls, too) and found a concave jig on a drill press works best. Much more control.

Here's what I have and it's working just fine. I'm drilling freehand (carefully & slowly). Results are WriteOn. I do not have a drill press and do not have room for one at this time. Would like a small good quality vise for pool balls and other little doodads. The balls I'm using are cheap plastic and accept a drill with no resistance.

Attachments

• Vise.jpg
    Vise.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

WriteON

Hard to beat the StewMac stuff (as a guitar player myself. but not a luthier). I bought one from Home Depot one (lifetime guarantee) and added the soft magnetic mounted silicone jaws.t[/url]

I will take a look at HomeDepot....
Guitar player??? Did you say Wes Montgomery?

Curly

I suggest you look at all the vices at Lee Valley. That will give you an idea of what is out there and might be suited to what you want. Then you can search other stores and sites to see if they have better quality or prices and go from there.

WriteON

OK..went to Home Depot...thought about Horror Fright (Harbor...) anyway bought a 4.5" for $29. Have no specific use in mind but will find a need. Thanks for everyone's help. Frank

WriteON

You might consider a Zyliss vise like this one on ebay. GENUINE SWISS MADE ZYLISS wood working VISE / clamp - IN GOOD CONDITION | eBay

I find them to be very well made, versatile, easily moved if necessary and they make an excellent pen press. You can either purchase soft jaw for it or easily make your own. Just a thought...

I'm going to HiJack my own thread... I had a slight issue with eBay...I would pay double from stranger or do without rather than give them a penny.

Top Bottom