Bench Top Drill Presses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes pens

I am looking at buying a new bench top drill press. Any recommendations out there? Grizzly is out of the question as they don't sell it here in Canada.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Mike_
If you have home Depot, they carry Ryobi whish is about as ceent as you can get froma big box for the money.
When I frequented the Canadian Woodworking Forum The guys were always talking about a tool chain that was similar to Grizzly and was rumored to be owned by the brother of the Founder of Grizzly.I may be wrong about that, I never heard whether the rumor was true.
Canadian tire or Princess auto seem to come to mind.
All that being said I have a small shop and a benchtop DP.If I had to replace the DP tomorrow it would be a floor model with a cabinet built underneath it.
Good luck on what ever you find.

bob393

My benchtop is a craftsmen, short quill travel but it works fine for me. But I do most of my drilling on a Rockwell floor model.

Agree with Eagle, would rather have floor model with slightly longer quill travel... I have one from HF and the travel is just long enough to do a slimline... anything long requires some fancy shuffling.

mikes pens

Thanks for your advice. I think the company you are talking about Eagle is Busy Bee. I heard the same story about the owners being brothers. I may check it out on the week end. thanks. Mike

mikes pens

Is this similar to the Grizzly one (this is Busy Bee. It also comes in a floor model for $4.00 more.

20061261123_CT023N.jpg

les-smith

Quill Travel, Quill Travel, Quill Travel. I wished I had bought one with longer quill travel. Spend the extra if you have too. IMHO

jeffj13

Originally posted by les-smith
<br />Quill Travel, Quill Travel, Quill Travel. I wished I had bought one with longer quill travel. Spend the extra if you have too. IMHO

Quoted for truth. While you can make due with a benchtop drill press, you will always wish you had bought a floor model.

I bought mine on e-bay (Jet 17" for $200). I've seen them for as little as $100. While shipping can be a killer, if you are patient, one will come along that is local.

jeff

jaywood1207

I posted last night but it didn't show up for some reason so here it goes again. I bought a General (floor model) at Rona and love it. They also have a benchtop available but for the extra if you have the space a floor model is better IMO. As mentioned above make sure you get enough quill travel. I believe the benchtop model had the same amount of travel as the floor model but not exactly sure on that one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The problem with a bench top is one is under the impression it is prtable and can be stored.
There in lies the problem.To store it you need the same sapec that it takes up to use it.I don't know about anyone else but my "bench top space is limited.(actually there isn't any.
I have seen floor models where a cabinet is built witha cut out for the post.They are normally built on casters and fit under the DP.This is te perfect spot to store all the stuff you use witht he press.Drill bits, fences all the extra goodies.
My next DP will be a floor model.
Bench top? Save yourself before it's too late!

Doghouse

Stay away from the variable speed delta drill press. I have this PITA and other than needing constant maintence it does not drill a straight hole. I had to shim the head to get it to properly mate with the column. This and it took them sending 4 machines to get one that worked.

Bob A

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Stay away from the variable speed delta drill press. I have this PITA and other than needing constant maintence it does not drill a straight hole. I had to shim the head to get it to properly mate with the column. This and it took them sending 4 machines to get one that worked.

I have the Delta VS benchtop and it was a PITA when I followed the maintanence instructions that are recommended. After I took it in to be repaired the guy that fixed it told me not to oil it and not to run it through the speeds daily. Since then I haven't had any problems. Though I probably will now that I have said this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom