Belt & Oval Skews

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

From lack of experience I think I'm killing my oval skews. I'm using a Sorby Pro Edge to sharpen but the final product looks real bad. Aside from lack of talent I'm I asking too much using belt with an oval chisel. Will post pictures next time I sharpen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

From lack of experience I think I'm killing my oval skews. I'm using a Sorby Pro Edge to sharpen but the final product looks real bad. Aside from lack of talent I'm I asking too much using belt with an oval chisel. Will post pictures next time I sharpen.
You can use a 1 x sander and utilize the flex in the belt to sharpen it. You may not get a repeatable grind, but it will be sharp. I am assuming your oval skew has convex sides, right? I have the sorby model (oval skew).

WriteON

What is a repeatable grind. Also maybe I'm using the wrong grit. The edge is not flat...has a slight curve that does not bother me...just concerned with sharpness. And the edge is not lasting. I might have overheated the metal.

TonyL

What is a repeatable grind. Also maybe I'm using the wrong grit. The edge is not flat...has a slight curve that does not bother me...just concerned with sharpness. And the edge is not lasting. I might have overheated the metal.
Repeatable grind/angle - an attempt to maintain the current angle of the bevel(s) and remove as little material as possible. This is my definition; I am no expert. If you say the edge is not flat, does that mean that you rolled-over the edge (that could inhibit cutting). I think you mean the angled bevels are not flat, hence an oval skew. I may be totally missing what you are asking - sorry. You can call me if you want. I own a oval skew.

I think you have my number, but i will send anyway.

penicillin

Can anyone recommend a high-quality, reliable jig for sharpening woodturning skew chisels on a flat diamond plate?

I have the Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide set, which is great for flat-backed woodworking bench chisels and hand plane blades. I also have the Veritas skew chisel setter for the honing guide set. Unfortunately, it is useless for woodturning skew chisels; it can only be used for general woodworking skew chisels, which are flat-back bench chisels, but with a skew angle.

TonyL

Can anyone recommend a high-quality, reliable jig for sharpening woodturning skew chisels on a flat diamond plate?

I have the Veritas Deluxe Honing Guide set, which is great for flat-backed woodworking bench chisels and hand plane blades. I also have the Veritas skew chisel setter for the honing guide set. Unfortunately, it is useless for woodturning skew chisels; it can only be used for general woodworking skew chisels, which are flat-back bench chisels, but with a skew angle.
I tried to find one of these years ago (still may be interested), then I just started uses my CBN blocks and/or diamond card by hand and got pretty good at it. I would like to see what others have to say, thanks for the post.

WriteON

Repeatable grind/angle - an attempt to maintain the current angle of the bevel(s) and remove as little material as possible. This is my definition; I am no expert. If you say the edge is not flat, does that mean that you rolled-over the edge (that could inhibit cutting). I think you mean the angled bevels are not flat, hence an oval skew. I may be totally missing what you are asking - sorry. You can call me if you want. I own a oval skew.

I think you have my number, but i will send anyway.
Thank you for the call today. Aside from learning and comparing notes it's always a pleasure chatting with you.

JimB

I use a diamond credit card size hone. 600 grit. Put it down on the bench and place the skew on it Finding the 'balance point' where the bevel is flat on the hone. Go back and forth a few times. Flip the skew over and do it again. Takes Less than 30 seconds.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Similar to what Jim does, I have 4 pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) sandpaper grades on a plate of glass beside my lathe. I sharpen only once every few days to once every few weeks, but do a couple of swipes on the sandpaper grades (honing) with every minute or so of use. It becomes kind of a natural action of sorts after the first few times. Sharpening is necessary when it begins to lose its shape, but honing up to a few dozen times will keep it sharp.

I have .3 micron sandpaper, 1 micron, 5 micron (I think) and another higher grade. After getting my edge, I will turn on the lathe for a minute or so and then swipe on the .3 micron a couple of times. After 2 or 3 times of going through the procedure during the turning process, I will swipe on the 1 micron 2 to 3 times and then the .3 micron; After several times doing this procedure in the turning process; I will swipe on the courser SP and go down through the line to the .3 micron again.

You can keep the edge as sharp as a razor without making it thin as a razor blade.

WriteON

Belts.... I need to replace the belts. Considering a (Sorby)Diamond belt. What type, brand are you using. Where to order from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom