Beginners first pen photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am a beginner at pens and this is the first one of which I took a photo. Also below it is the grain of the Padauk. I was very surprised at the grain of the pen. It had a hint of chatoyance or illuminance. What I was barely seeing was the fine grain under the CA/BLO finish in the bright orange color.

46067018-951d-0200006B-.jpg

46067019-7872-020000C3-.jpg

At first I thought that the grain was something that I did on turning or sanding that appeared under the finish. Then I noticed the same grain on some of my unfinished and ustabilized blanks. This is the first time I have seen grain this fine. It looks like the wood cells themselves.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerberpens

Nice looking pen Hank. I like the centerband. I need to get some of those and get off the "standard" gold CB.

OT, I have turned quite a few more pens since I saw your daughter last month. I am going to sell them in the OBU bookstore in a couple of weeks. If you email her, tell her to come back by my office and I'll show the "new stuff."

Gary

M

Mudder

Hank,

What are you doing? That's the worst pen I ever saw. [;)] In fact, It's sooooo bad I'm going to send you my address so you can send it to me for proper disposal.

(before you get out the noose, be it known that Hank and I are old friends from another forum.)It's a joke.

woodscavenger

With the new rules you better watch out so the hammer doesn't fall. Nice pen but are you sure it's paduk? I've seen quite a bit of it and have never seen that grain pattern. It is nice whatever it is.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the comments fellows, and especially the notes on the patterns in Padauk. I didn't know if my eyes were seeing things or what. I have got to study and practice on close up photography.

This problems with the big pictures is that I am on another forum that uses Snitz Forms and it automatically resizes mine to a much smaller pict. I will cut these down when I learn how to configure everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom