Beginner Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

I'm going to be teaching some of the guys at church how to make a pen, but I almost exclusively use my hss skew which will not be the best choice for first timers. Which single tool would you think would be best to make a pen for a first timer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

If I had to choose one turning tool only, I would choose a square radius carbide tipped woodturning tool.

I have used typical carbide turning tool sets for beginner classes and demos in the past. Carbide tools simplify the sharpening requirements for the instructor. Beginners tend to use (abuse?) HSS tools as scrapers, so the HSS sharpening needs can be a greater burden for the instructor, who should be focused on the beginning penturner's activities and safety.

I believe that the square radius tool is the most flexible carbide tool for beginners. In my opinion it is more forgiving than the square tool. The round tool can work, but with one tool only, the square radius tool would be better overall, in my opinion.

(I like and prefer HSS turning tools - roughing gouge, skew chisel, spindle gouge, and parting tool. I've turned pens with nothing but the skew chisel, mostly to prove I could do it. For myself at home, I have both types of tools ready to go, and have no qualms about using whatever works best or switching between them.)

Charlie_W

When I teach penturning to beginners, I prefer them using s spindle roughing gouge start to finish. Usually a 3/4".
I give them a learning blank which is a blank with a 1/4" hole...no tube. Mount it on the mandrel and let them learn on this one and then give them a blank with a tube for their take home pen.
I teach a scraping cut, peeling cut and then a slicing cut.

Aside from teaching penturning, for general spindle turning, spindle roughing gouge for the three cuts mentioned above and then I hand them a skew and have them do the same slicing cut they were just doing with the spindle roughing gouge. Now, they are off to a good start.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Carbide insert would be better for a group learning experience as the continued sharpness of inserts will allow more turning and less sharpening. Remaining sharp during turning is an absolute necessity. HSS will dull quicker in inexperienced hands and need more sharpening.

IF you want to teach sharpening while making a few pens, then HSS is it.

I use HSS 80 of the time personally, but I know how to sharpen quickly and effectively and keep sharp, but for new people, the focus should be on making the pen. A very good carbide insert on a tool will provide hours of sharpness. Radiused Square as mentioned will work better IMO for new turners too - more forgiving than square's edges.

penicillin

The question in my mind is are you going to teach or entertain for an afternoon? When is the best time to learn? I would suggest in the begining. Start with scrap wood and teach rounding the blank, coves and beads then make a pen. If you use carbide they will probably never be "turners". Just my $.02
I like this comment.

To be clear, my experience has been with "one-off" penturning classes, like a craft class where you learn a little about the craft, have an enjoyable experience, and walk away with a working pen that you made yourself.

For a few people it is the gateway to becoming a woodturner, but for most it is fun afternoon with family or friends. From that perspective, the carbide tools are more likely to achieve satisfactory results. The subtleties are reserved for another day. We used Hut Crystal Coat for the finish, a relatively inexpensive alcohol/shellac/beeswax friction polish. The finish is easy to apply, with a 99% chance of success vs. a CA finish. (Pen tubes were glued with CA, too.) Attendees walk away with a slimline pen.

So ... I agree with @Robert Taylor: Is this going to be a fun one-off experience for the "guys at church", or will this be a serious introduction to woodturning for them?

Dannv

I have to agree with the roughing gouge and then maybe a skew. They'll learn more and get started on a path that will let them do more than just pens.

ghansen4

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments!! This would be for entertainment more than so they can go home and start making their own pens. I agree with the radius square carbide recommendation. Thanks!!

Top Bottom