Beginner from El Paso, Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rachgard

Hi all! I'm a newbie originally hailing from a small town in Texas. I'm currently two years out from retiring from the military as a Blackhawk pilot. It feels like I've been doing it forever, so I'll be glad to get out. Flying was truly fun when I was younger, but now it's feeling more foolish and dangerous than is worth it.
I originally bought the lathe under the guise of getting it for my husband for Christmas as he seemed to want to learn to woodwork, but he hasn't touched it once and it's become specifically my thing. There's something so peaceful about turning wood, the gentle "shookshook shhhhhhh" of working pieces. I can really see throwing quite a bit of money at this thing, unfortunately. I have a lot of interest in getting rare or interesting woods, or sentimental ones for penmaking for friends and family. This will never be a business, I'm sure, but I'd still love for this to be something I can gift to people I care about. Who doesn't love a fancy pen?!
If there's ever a thought about some new fun way to do something, some rare wood you've seen that was pretty or interesting to work with, or just some tips on how to really get that good shiny polish on a pen, drop me a line! Also, if you have any questions about the pilot thing, I've got some stories up my sleeves as well.

Great to meet you guys!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome Rachel to the IAP, from Minnesota. (Thank you for your service)

The addiction will get to you. The best thing is you are where all your questions can be answered. Ask away.......SOMEONE will always be here to help. (Or give you an opinion) Remember, we have all been there and done that.

Jsavage4

Deep respect for your service to our country!! Beware that doing a good turn daily is very addictive. You will be tempted to try your hand at turning two piece Slimline pens, but initially try to work with single piece wood kits, since they are much easier to complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

Welcome from Abilene, Texas. I had the honor of getting Basic Training at Fort Bliss almost 49 years ago.

I am saving this thread, the next time we go to Ruidoso, NM, I will send a message to you. I have some of those exotic woods in my Ruidoso shop that I will never get around to using.

Rachgard

Aw, that would be amazing! My grandparents had a trailer in ruidoso that we would visit every summer. I have such fond memories of ruidoso. So pretty there!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Ohio.

Thank you for your service.

I have relatives that raced Quarterhorses and trained/housed then 1/2year in Ruidoso. Small world.

Have FUN!

stonepecker

Rachel,
Could we ask you to give us a little more information?
With the up coming BASH, one of the rules is we need your last name on your profile.
Would you please post that for us?

Thank You.

Rachgard

You got it, Wayne! I've updated. Sorry about that!
Also, thank you Alton, I'm looking forward to those variety packs! They really seem like a deal.

MTViper

Rachel, welcome from a retired F-16 pilot. I understand how you feel as retirement gets closer. My oldest son is commander of the 1-6IN, currently in Kuwait. I'm out near Abilene. I'd recommend you stock up on mesquite while you're out there. If you can get any desert ironwood, get all you can. There is an AAW woodturning club in El Paso you might want to get acquainted with. I don't think it's very big, but it will give you a good source for experience. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Super Dave

Welcome and thank you for your service. I lived in El Paso a long time ago, my father was stationed at Fort Bliss and retired from there as well.

Dave

Top Bottom