Before i start i want to be ready

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GR8HUNTER

as said before i get started i want to make sure i have all things i need to finish a pen i will tell you what i have you can possibly tell me if i need it or not i have blanks , mandrel, i think i need press , a way to hold for drilling , a barrel trimmer so iguess i am asking if any of you have extras and or things to sell please let me know what you have and price i know how to use paypal Thanks Tony ☺️☺️

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdindc

Hello Tony,

I am still realatively new but will offer a few thoughts. First of all welcome. You did not mention it but I assume that you have a lathe. You can use your lathe to drill blanks and get parts to use as a press instad of buying a drill press. Also, if you get an offset sanding jig from Rick Herrell you can do away with the barrel trimmers. You will need something to finish and seal the pen; for wood this can either be CA or polishes and oil combinations. Go though the getting started section, there are a ton of youtube videos and great people in the IAP with tons of experience and knowledge. Happy turning!

Best,

Steven

AllanS

This may be pedantic but here is my thinking

Lathe (as sdindc said)
- note the morse taper of the lathe (probably MT2 but you'll want to verify)
Toolrest (hopefully came with your lathe)
Tailstock center - also matching MT
Mandrel to match the MT - there are two general options
- The usual 'rod' mandrel or the turn between center (TBC) mandrel system

Blank prep
Pen kit you want to work (obviously)
A blank to work on
A method to cut the blank down to appropriate length
A method to drill a hole through the blank if it's not already pre-drilled
- A drill press with adequate swing OR
- a drill chunk + 4 jaw lathe chuck (demo - https://technologystudent.com/equip1/mlathe4.htm)
- drill bits in the size the pen kit requires
- don't do like I started to do and buy a single drill bit for each kit. Just buy a full set of quality drill bits for english and metric off the bat.
A method to glue the brass tube in the kit into the blank.
- Lots of discussion as to which type of glue is best.
A method to trim the blank down to the size of the barrel
- Barrel trimmer being common, which then requires some method to use the trimmer (drill) and to hold the blank
- Lots of love here for Rick's sanding jig that can uses your tailstock and sandpaper mounted to a faceplate to square the end of the blank. Count me in as one of fans.

Turning
Woodturning tools themselves obviously, possibly called a chisel set
The bushings for the pen kit and the mandrel you chose (Most TBCs come with different types of bushings)
Sandpaper of progressive grits - I keep a range from 120 - 1500 on hand but generally only use 320/400/600 most of the time

Finishing - If you want to put a finish on your pen there are dozens of possibilities, but one of the most common that I've seen is the superglue (CA) finish (edit - CA is for wood)

CA glue of some sort - probably in multiple densities (thin/medium/thick).
- I like the 'few coats of thin thickness CA followed by a few coats of medium CA method. But even if you come to like using just one type of CA it's very useful to have the differing thickness available for general use.
Some method of applying the CA glue - paper towels, shop towels, the plastic bag the kit came in - all are possibilities
CA accelerator - quick spray to have the CA dry quickly so you aren't waiting a long time between coats to apply
Method to sand and smooth down the CA glue - micromesh sanding pads being the most common I've seen
Some form of even finer polishing compound, again, lots of options but plastic polish being common.

Assembly
Pen press of some sort.
- Guess what? Lots of conversation about how to do this too. :) I'm using a dedicated pen press that can also be used to disassemble pens as I need.

Ancillary
Replacement ink - a lot of the ink that comes in the kits are pretty awful.
Small bags/boxes or something to put the pen in - a nice add on if you are going to gift it to someone.

Ancillary for repeat pen making (definitely NOT an inclusive list)
Digital calipers - useful for getting precise measurements. I'm surprised at how often I refer to mine nowdays.
Bushing storage - now is a good time to think about bushing storage method - if you plan on trying out lots of pen kit types you'll want to think about you want to store them. Don't be like me that went through 3 options before landing on one that works for me.
Tool sharpening
- lardy if you thought the lathe was expensive...
- Touch up - Sharpening honer/card for touch up
- Major sharpening - Slow speed bench grinder with CBN wheels is what I hear a lot about. Pricey though. I didn't know and got a regualr
dewalt and stone wheels. Works but will someday move to CBN (kinda wasting money in the process)
- Various jigs etc for aiding in sharpening. (some tools work best at specific angles and improperly sharpening them can impact that angle)
Dust collection. - something to take care of the all the dust and shavings before it gets into the laundry basket and you get the serious hairy eyeball from your partner.

BULLWINKLE

as said before i get started i want to make sure i have all things i need to finish a pen i will tell you what i have you can possibly tell me if i need it or not i have blanks , mandrel, i think i need press , a way to hold for drilling , a barrel trimmer so iguess i am asking if any of you have extras and or things to sell please let me know what you have and price i know how to use paypal Thanks Tony ☺️☺️
You have most everything. Instead of a drill press I'd recommend you drill blanks on the lathe. You need a chuck for the headstock and a drill chuck for tailstock. The tailstock chuck can't be live center.
I'll include links for those items.
I'd call PSI to be sure chuck isn't a live center. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM32KL.html

Attachments

• 6B91C891-3EA3-4A47-A67B-7835367F823D.png
    6B91C891-3EA3-4A47-A67B-7835367F823D.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 78E215A5-1A85-47EC-B1A1-51E711AF350E.png
    78E215A5-1A85-47EC-B1A1-51E711AF350E.png
    557.1 KB · Views: 90

Mortalis

To add to the above, if you turn a very basic add on for the chuck you would use in the tailstock to drill the blanks you could use the tail stock to press the pen parts into the blank.
The add on would have a larger OD on one end ( approx the size of a square blank) and then turn a length behind the larger OD (approx an inch long and 3/8" dia) to be able to grab with the chuck in the tail stock and then hold the finished blank in the pen blank jaws (cover them with some painters tape to protect the finish) and place a stop block behind the finished blank to keep it from being pushed into the headstock when using the addon gripped in the chuck to press the parts into the finished blank being held in the pen blank jaws.

I use this method with an actual drill press except you dont need the blank drilling chuck. Come to think of it you wouldnt even need the pen blank drilling chuck to achieve the same thing. Just pit someting over the opening of the head stock and press against that.

GR8HUNTER

i got the lathe and turning tools and chuck for lathe can i also barrel trim this way maybe i should just get off my butt and do it i might be worry to much about it whats the worse can happen i mess up first 2 then lesson is learned ;)

grebmar

You can also use the lathe as a pen press. There are M2 plastic inserts that will do the job nicely. It's the only way I've put the pens together.

jrista

I am not selling...just offering some ideas.

Just a simple list of critical things you still need, on top of what you have:

Glue (i.e. T88 Epoxy, my preference, some people use CA) to glue tubes into drilled blanks.
Sandpaper (get the full spectrum from 180 to 3000 standard grits if you can; 180 for roughing up brass tubes, the rest for sanding blanks)
Wet sanding (either Zona paper or Micromesh; for sanding resins)
Finishes (CA finish (not CA glue!!) like GlueBoost, Mercury Flex, etc.; Pens Plus if you have allergies/bad reactions to CA; Polyurethane is also a great, durable option; Personally, I have all three, but usually use Pens Plus or Poly)

A list of optional but useful tools:

Pen Blank Trimming Jigs (if you have a bandsaw, these can make blank trimming really quick and easy...I have a simple home made jig I created earlier in the year, I'll link the build thread shortly)
Disc sander (this can help with trimming blanks to tubes after the tubes are glued in; alternative to using a barrel trimmer)
Carbide turning tools (for resins, negative rake carbide, or even carbide used in a sheer cutting position, are ideal...much easier than trying to use a gouge, and IMO easier than a skew)
Drying Rack (this is another thing you could build - i made one out of a slab of purplehart and some walnut dowel myself, but some kind of simple rack of some kind to put finished pen blanks on so they can dry without being handled)

Pen Photography Stands! (Well, you put all that effort into making them! Might as well show them off in style, too! ;))

Shock me

I'd agree with "get off [your] butt and do it" if you're new to turning, just use some scrap wood, get it drilled, cut and squared and practice turning it to bushings or calipers, sand it, maybe practice a CA finish. You dont even have ti make it into a pen, but you can. If it goes well try some nicer wood with the goal of completing a pen.
You'll *never* have all the stuff you'll need/want. Somebody will always be mentioning a new way to square, finish, sand or a new turning tool, going from mandrel to TBC, whatever. Just start basic and evolve.

penicillin

I wrote a post (and document) about the minimum basics that you need to get started with penturning. See:

TDahl

Don't waste your money on a barrel trimmer. Order the offset sanding jig from Rick Herrell (you will need a couple other tools like a punch set which Rick does not sell.)

BULLWINKLE

Tony, Here's some good information for you.

Top Bottom