Before And After

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This is my everyday carry and I have used it daily at work for probably close to two years. Even though the wood is beautiful, I decided to change it up. I disassembled it and turned a new barrel. The brass gears and brass pen components match perfectly. I'm pretty happy with this one. The wood is walnut burl that I stabilized. The resin is liquid diamonds. Since the wood is stabilized, I just polished it out with micro mesh. No CA, we'll see how it wears.
A041BD20-BB6A-405F-B2F3-85C986E04129.jpeg
BBE8B5F0-5E4C-481E-BB2A-411A98BDCC41.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Looks nice. Good job on casting and wood combination as well. If your will to share I'd be interested in the order you put it together. Thanks for sharing

KenB259

Looks nice. Good job on casting and wood combination as well. If your will to share I'd be interested in the order you put it together. Thanks for sharing
I take a small piece of burl, for this pen, drilled the 3/8 hole through it. Wrapped the tube with vinyl, all but the part that would be glued into the wood. After I have the vinyl on I had to re drill just a short depth with a drill bit just few thousandths bigger so so vinyl would slide into the wood. Epoxied the tube into the wood. After that I bent the gears and glued them on. From there just put it in tube in mold and cast it with liquid diamonds. I tried a few with Alumilite clear, but it didn't adhere very well to the vinyl. I did use a pressure pot even they say you don't need to with liquid diamonds, left it under pressure for 24 hours.

Kenny Durrant

Cool. So you cast the tube with the wood already attached. I made a pen a few years ago and it was a pain to set up. Looked good when finished but I didn't rush back to make another one. Thanks

KenB259

Cool. So you cast the tube with the wood already attached. I made a pen a few years ago and it was a pain to set up. Looked good when finished but I didn't rush back to make another one. Thanks
Yes, the tube was glued into the wood before casting.

egnald

Very Cool, but youre killing me! - I haven't jumped into casting yet, but I sure have the itch and you posts keep pushing me closer and closer to spending money! - That's a really cool hybrid/segmented design. - Dave

KenB259

Very Cool, but youre killing me! - I haven't jumped into casting yet, but I sure have the itch and you posts keep pushing me closer and closer to spending money! - That's a really cool hybrid/segmented design. - Dave
Try it, you'll like itšŸ˜œ

KMCloonan

The original pen was nice as your daily carry, but now you have a new great looking pen Ken.

You're right, the gears match the pen metal components perfectly. Thanks for explaining your process.

sorcerertd

Yes, I've been feeling the same way. I'm trying to save up for a new lathe, but...

That did come out beautifully, Ken. That was a nice piece of cocobolo you had to start with, but this definitely shows off those new casting skills.

Top Bottom