Beefwood = banksia?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I went to my favorite local hardwood and exotic wood dealer today (East Wake Hardwoods in Zebulon, NC if you live close enough, the man has some real eye candy!).

I picked up a stick of beefwood (a beefstick?) today. When I milled it into blanks, I noticed the grain in it looks identical to a banksia blank I have. Are the two woods the same?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzz

If its Australian Beefwood it is a different species to the Banksia. Beefwood (here) is one of the Grevillia family. Banksia are a family of their own with scores of different members, such as Bull Banksia (Banksia Grandis) which is the one that produces the biggest nuts most frequently used in craft work.

I think you should find the Beefwood a fair bit harder than any of the Banksias.

Darley

Beefwood is not Banksia, , Banksia is a soft wood, grain of the Banksia is lighter than Beefwood, beefwood is more harder and darker grain

This is Banksia

attachment.jpg

Beefwood Blank

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Drew3.jpg
    Drew3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Beefwood.jpg
    Beefwood.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 219

redfishsc

Thanks for the help all! I knew the Australians would solve it for me!

Now that you mention it I can feel a distinct difference between the weight of the banksia and the beefwood. I can't wait to make a nice closed-end Baron from the beef.

Top Bottom