Bearing Replacement

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Well after four years the bearings on my Jet 1014 finally gave up the ghost. Actually it was just the 6005 that was bad, but I replaced them both. Ounce of prevention stuff. I also replaced the belt since I had a spare. I had never taken the head stock apart to even to replace the belt. The bearings did not want to come out without some persuasion and the IAP library was a big help for doing this without screwing something up. A big thank you to Randy Meijers for his tutorial. The bearing were purchased through Jet. I know I could have gotten them cheaper as there have been places listed on here before. When I was thinking about I wanted to get it done and not get sidetracked looking for a cheaper alternative. I am happy to report that it is back together and running quiet once again.

The point of the post is this: There is a treasure trove of valuable information in the library. All you have to do is take the time to look, and since Tom's re-organization of the library, it doesn't take much time at all to find things. I only looked through a couple of the categories and was amazed at some things that I have missed over the years. Ideas are popping and I have to space my time between the library and the lathe. SO thank you IAP, Tom and all of the people who have contributed their knowledge and time over the years.

opfoto

I printed that a while back...when I thought I needed to replace the bearings on my 1014. Turns out that I needed to give it a good cleaning. I put the guide in a binder that has other turning info in it and it resides close at hand in a cabinet above the mini.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I couldn't agree with you more about the great stuff in the library Mike. There is certainly a ton of great info there. In my opinion there is only one piece that really has no place being there. In itself, it would have been informative, but in my opinion it reads just like a bunch of ads for a bunch of mates.:rolleyes:
I did make a suggestion recently that it would be real nice to see the links to the library articles ( on the right hand side of the home page ) become random like the Random album pics on the lhs. I think that might entice people to go have a look.
My all time favourite articles are the videos by Ed Davidson ( YoYoSpin )
LOL, EVERY time I use my buffer, I mentally think of Ed saying 'Bufferooney' Love it!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom