Beall Modifications

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

I recently bought second hand thru the IAP used 10 times only a Beall Pen Wiz.

The things I have done so far before I have actually used it.

1.Not a mod but most useful mounted the Wiz on a solid heavy Bamboo Chopping Board. fitted under the block the non slip stuff you put under carpet.
2. Removed and discarded the two small angle brackets, replaced them with angle aluminium Coach screwed to the block and bolted to the two uprights (very stable now)
3. Removed the screw with the point that fits in the end of the mandrel. Bought a long threaded bolt drilled the end facing the mandrel to nest the mandrel inside about a 1/2 inch.
4. Using a 1/4 inch die I extended the thread on the end of the mandrel that fits into the end with the gears on, now use a nut to take up slack to the pen blank from that side.
5.Cut a 1/4 inch thread on the other end of the mandrel long enough to nest closely in the 3/8 inch screw up to 1/2 inch and use a nut to firm the pen blank at that end.
6. Cut the threaded 3/8 inch and fitted a hand knob locknutted on the outboard end.
Observations the 3/8 inch supplied hand screw was a sloppy fit in the R/H upright.
I do totally dislike using a point to recess into any mandrel.
I removed the end play on the main drive and am thinking of modifying the plate that carries the Dremel in the throat that engages that plate there is too much play that will give me uneven lengths of cut across and back.

Gerry I understand you scan these forum entries please excuse my modifications. I have a button die holder that fits on the tailstock of my Hercus Metal Lathe and Hercus Collets that grip over three inches of length of the Mandrel to hold it true during the thread cutting. The die holder slides on a parallel shaft (old technology now I guess)

My intentention is to decorate, cut half a pen at a time.
I made my own pen mill that I use to cut flats already using a small metal lathe fitted with a locked on 72 toothed gear for indexing held with a locking mesh gear. The mandrel is held in a drill chuck at the head stock with the other end nested in a brass bush in the tail stock to hold it in position. I made an aluminium collar that fits on the quill of my Mill Drill and cut out also to give an outboard mount for a small finishing router. The Mill Drill gives me up and down movements with the small lathe bolted to the bed I have then X and Y axis with the bed controls.

I look forward to familiarising myself with the Beall Pen Whiz soon. Life flies when you are 75 as I am and the demands are great everyone around you assumes you have huge slabs of available time for them to direct you how to use it.

Regards Peter.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Peter,
It sounds like you have made several great ( and needed )improvements and although I can picture some of them in my head, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to see a pic of what you've done.

It's been some time since I saw a pen from one of these gadgets. Are they just collecting dust under workbenches:confused:

I know that most of us don't like to point out flaws in these kind of tools, ( or any other item sold by a member )esp when the they are nice people to deal with. But I think that sometimes we can help them sell more by showing where improvements can ( or need ) to be made.:wink:

BigShed

Sounds interesting Peter, I'm sure we'll get some feed back from other Beall Wizard owners on your mods.

Skippy, like you I have been wondering what people have been doing with this device. After the initial rush of enthusiasm there haven't been a lot of posts of pens made on the Beall Wizard.

Maybe some of the owners could give us all an update on how they are doing with it?

Druid

Thanks Peter,
I also own a pen wiz and use it ocassionally, I like the modifications you made and would like to see pictures to help better envision also.

ldubia

I just got a new PW for Christmas and am excited about playing with it. Now I read that people aren't using them much. Is there a reason for this or have they just gone out of favor? :question: :redface:
Do the mods listed above need to be done or is that just a machinist looking for perfection? Will this make a lot of difference in the end product? :rolleyes:

Larry

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I just got a new PW for Christmas and am excited about playing with it. Now I read that people aren't using them much. Is there a reason for this or have they just gone out of favor? :question: :redface:
Do the mods listed above need to be done or is that just a machinist looking for perfection? Will this make a lot of difference in the end product? :rolleyes:

Larry

Larry,

Your pen wiz will be perfectly functional without mods. After you have used it for a while, there may be more cuts you would like to make (like flats) and then you will start playing with mods.

But they will be "wanted" not "needed".

Have fun with the Wiz!!

Top Bottom