Beall Chuck Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jodoidg

Just got my Beall Collet Chuck in the mail today. I don’t have any collets as I scored the 11-piece set off of E-Bay this weekend ($51). Of course I had to take it out, and apart (both pieces), which leads to my stupid question. Inside the “nose nut†is an “internal flange†is this flange supposed to be round? Mine is off center and oblong. Without a collet I can’t tell if it will work, I’m thinking maybe this is how it applies force to contract the collet. Am I close or am I hosed??
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

It's supposed to be that way. The eccentric flange locks the collet into the ring and when the ring is loosened the collet is pulled from the chuck. Putting the collet into the ring first with no gap between the face of the collet and the ring that holds it in is essential to the collet holding the mandrel dead center. It's hard to explain, but when you get the collets, you'll understand. You'll love the Beall collet chuck and collets..
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jodoidg
<br />Just got my Beall Collet Chuck in the mail today. I don’t have any collets as I scored the 11-piece set off of E-Bay this weekend ($51). Of course I had to take it out, and apart (both pieces), which leads to my stupid question. Inside the “nose nut†is an “internal flange†is this flange supposed to be round? Mine is off center and oblong. Without a collet I can’t tell if it will work, I’m thinking maybe this is how it applies force to contract the collet. Am I close or am I hosed??
John

thetalbott4

Thats funny cuz I thought the same thing when I got mine. I looked in there and thought ,"oh great, I got a bad chuck". Then I got the collets (same set you bought) and figured in might work anyway. Once I got it all together the light came on that the flange sits in the groove in the collets. The flange then pulls the collet out as you unscrew the two pieces which aids in changing collets. So don't feel bad, I was dumb before you were.

its_virgil

Well, since confession is good for the soul, then I should say, "So did I!" I used it for a couple of weeks and was getting runout (and was really disappointed). I even had to knock out the collett when the ring was removed. [:D]Then, as I was complaining to the person who introduced me to the Beall collet chuck, and he set me straight. Now I love it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />Thats funny cuz I thought the same thing when I got mine. I looked in there and thought ,"oh great, I got a bad chuck". Then I got the collets (same set you bought) and figured in might work anyway. Once I got it all together the light came on that the flange sits in the groove in the collets. The flange then pulls the collet out as you unscrew the two pieces which aids in changing collets. So don't feel bad, I was dumb before you were.

jodoidg

Thank you all very much I feel much better now[:)]

Joe, No I got the same 11 piece set as Scott, same seller. Thanks to you (IAP) guys for telling me about it I saved a boat load of $$$.

John

Pipes

Ok I like the deal on the collets ! Now were is the BEST place to buy the main part the chuck ! I need a 1x8 is the one he has in that big set that size ? What are YOU folks using ??? the REG Beal and then these collets ? ![?]

http://affordablepipes.com/

gerryr

Charles has the best price anywhere on the chuck.
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WC&Product_Code=CCBEALL&Category_Code=CHU

gerryr

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Well, since confession is good for the soul, then I should say, "So did I!" I used it for a couple of weeks and was getting runout (and was really disappointed). I even had to knock out the collett when the ring was removed. [:D]Then, as I was complaining to the person who introduced me to the Beall collet chuck, and he set me straight. Now I love it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />Thats funny cuz I thought the same thing when I got mine. I looked in there and thought ,"oh great, I got a bad chuck". Then I got the collets (same set you bought) and figured in might work anyway. Once I got it all together the light came on that the flange sits in the groove in the collets. The flange then pulls the collet out as you unscrew the two pieces which aids in changing collets. So don't feel bad, I was dumb before you were.

Label me as dumb too. Now I understand why my stuff hasn't always been concentric. I was beginning to think I didn't know how to turn a pen anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom