Beal buffing system question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I just bought the 3 wheel buffing system from cowchaser. It came with the rod for buffing all 3 wheels on the lathe at once. I plan to use one wheel at a time on a dedicated motor. I ordered the quick change adaptor, but it didn't come with bolt/screw to hold the buffing wheel. I bought a bolt and washer from Lowes, but the hole in the buffing wheel is large and causes some vibration because it's not centered.

Is there some sort of metal or rubber collet that goes inside the buffing wheel to keep it center?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
If you are using a dedicated motor, go back to Lowe's and get the 1/2" arbour. The wheel should fit right on it. Why buy the Beall system if you are using a motor? Much less expensive to buy the arbour and two wheels.

Bobalu

Sounds like you are using a motor with a 1/2" shaft, but the adapter is for a 5/8" shaft. You need a sleeve that goes over your motor shaft to allow the adapter to center on the shaft. I"d go to http://bealltool.com to find mounting instructions and the adapter sleeve you need.

BTW - You should use set screws, not bolts to mount the adapter. Bolts could cause vibration.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF I am reading right, you need a washer for the buffing wheels themselves, not the shaft side.

IF this is the case, you CAN find them sometimes with new buffing wheels. OR you can measure the diameter of the holes in your wheels and make a wood washer to fit, if you have a wood lathe???

Bobalu

IF I am reading right, you need a washer for the buffing wheels themselves, not the shaft side.

IF this is the case, you CAN find them sometimes with new buffing wheels. OR you can measure the diameter of the holes in your wheels and make a wood washer to fit, if you have a wood lathe???

Sorry, Richard, I misread your post. I thought you were having a mis-match between the quick change adapter you purchased and your motor shaft.

As Ed states above, it sounds like it's your buff wheel and adapter that have the mis-match. I checked the Beall site and they state the buff that come with the 3-on-a-mandrel set you bought have a 3/4" center hole. The buffs sold for mounting on a motor have a 3/8" center hole. They don't use any hub or collet on the standard set, just a 3/8" bolt, nut and washers, which clamp down on the plys of the buff.

Rmartin

Sorry, Richard, I misread your post. I thought you were having a mis-match between the quick change adapter you purchased and your motor shaft.

As Ed states above, it sounds like it's your buff wheel and adapter that have the mis-match. I checked the Beall site and they state the buff that come with the 3-on-a-mandrel set you bought have a 3/4" center hole. The buffs sold for mounting on a motor have a 3/8" center hole. They don't use any hub or collet on the standard set, just a 3/8" bolt, nut and washers, which clamp down on the plys of the buff.

Aaaahhhhhhhh! I didn't know they had two different size holes in the buffs.

thanks very much!

Rmartin

Yes, in fact I do have a wood lathe. Thanks for asking:rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Bobalu

Aaaahhhhhhhh! I didn't know they had two different size holes in the buffs.

Sorry I can't offer more than the dimensional differences. It would be easy to turn a bushing to fit the 3/4" center hole on your buffs, but how you would adhere it to the buff material would only be a guess on my part. Maybe someone that has actually done that conversion will chime in.

I must admit, I wish I had bought the system you have versus the standard system I did buy. I get a little tired of switching buffing wheels all the time. Sort of makes me feel like the Karate Kid -- Buff on, Buff off, Buff on, Buff off. :biggrin:

Rmartin

Sorry I can't offer more than the dimensional differences. It would be easy to turn a bushing to fit the 3/4" center hole on your buffs, but how you would adhere it to the buff material would only be a guess on my part. Maybe someone that has actually done that conversion will chime in.

I must admit, I wish I had bought the system you have versus the standard system I did buy. I get a little tired of switching buffing wheels all the time. Sort of makes me feel like the Karate Kid -- Buff on, Buff off, Buff on, Buff off. :biggrin:

Drilling a 3/8 hole in a 3/4 dowel should be an easy fix. I just didn't know if there was something about the buffs I was missing.

If you're interested, we could do a trade. The jig for the lathe is really nice, but I won't be using it. If you have some pen blanks or whatever you would like to trade, let me know.

Top Bottom