Basket Illusion, Potential?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

After watching a demo on a basket illusion platter late last year, I started gathering stuff to give it a try. I started wondering if anyone had tried doing this on a pen. Bruce Robbins did some basket illusions using his CNC machine. Aside from his work, I have not found where anyone has tried it with burning techniques like used for bowls and platters. Here is my first stab at it. There were a number of challenges in doing this and my pyrography skills need much work. Some of my lines are burned too deeply and most are irregular. I don't mind some irregularly since woven baskets are uneven. My lines improved as I went along and I think I can do better with more practice. Thoughts? Does this have potential?

5DA799C0-C15A-4089-9E84-656DDC1DAFB6.jpeg
9090DC86-A735-4562-B28D-9D99FB85E6AA.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Fantastic! Beautiful piece. I agree with the jig idea mentioned above. A clamping mechanism to hold the burning tool as the lathe turns at a very slow speed. Perhaps a metal guide parallel, and some sort of indexing, to the barrel would produce straighter lines. Coloring some of the squares is brilliant.

sorcerertd

I like it and think that the texture would be a welcome option, especially for fidgeters.

As far as the longitudinal lines, you could also use something like a hot wire cutter. Not sure if that's the right word, but it's not quite a hot knife. I remember using something like that to cut styrofoam many years ago. You should even be able to make one with a wire and a couple batteries.

Charlie_W

That is challenging Cody and you persevered. Very good first go.

What wood were you using? You might want to try a hard maple. Many pyrographers like pear.
What pyrography tip were you burning with?
Also, if you blow on the tip just before you start to touch the wood with the tip, you should not get as many hot start marks.

Hope this helps!

Cwalker935

That is challenging Cody and you persevered. Very good first go.

What wood were you using? You might want to try a hard maple. Many pyrographers like pear.
What pyrography tip were you burning with?
Also, if you blow on the tip just before you start to touch the wood with the tip, you should not get as many hot start marks.

Hope this helps!
The lines perpendicular to the barrel were shaped using a beading tool and burned with a piece of Formica sample. The horizontal lines were burned with a beading tip made for basket weave. The wood is a soft maple. I had my tip too hot and did better after turning the burner down. I might try some cherry since I would like a darker background. I may also try holding it a different way to give me more control on the horizontal lines. I would like them straighter but not necessarily ruler straight.

Gary Beasley

Ive done similar on a Zen making a brick pattern.

Cwalker935

Ive done similar on a Zen making a brick pattern.
very neat.

Cwalker935

I like it. I was trying to accomplish something like it with this pen : https://www.penturners.org/threads/iap-collection-pen-62.172979/

I would have needed to change the blanks so that the vertical lines ran through each slice. Burning would be easier and has the potential to be a lot more consistent. Of course I I didn't have to paint anything!
I remember your pen and thinking that was a cool concept. Must have lingered around in my subconsciou.

Dueyvan

After watching a demo on a basket illusion platter late last year, I started gathering stuff to give it a try. I started wondering if anyone had tried doing this on a pen. Bruce Robbins did some basket illusions using his CNC machine. Aside from his work, I have not found where anyone has tried it with burning techniques like used for bowls and platters. Here is my first stab at it. There were a number of challenges in doing this and my pyrography skills need much work. Some of my lines are burned too deeply and most are irregular. I don't mind some irregularly since woven baskets are uneven. My lines improved as I went along and I think I can do better with more practice. Thoughts? Does this have potential?

View attachment 325172View attachment 325173
Very cool. There's a guy in my local guild that excels at doing this on bowls and vases. Love to see it on a pen.

Top Bottom