Basic Yosegi experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Here are a few rough turnings of some yosegi type patterns.( when I say rough, I mean rough )
One picture shows the reverse side.
Critiques/advice welcome
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looks like very painstaking work, using ultra-sharp knives and very good eyes !!! :D

Showing good promise !!! . I like it !!!

What do you use to cut your circles, ellipses, parabolas ... and other such shapes ? ... in the middle picture.

Alan Morrison

Looks like very painstaking work, using ultra-sharp knives and very good eyes !!! :D
What do you use to cut your circles, ellipses, parabolas ... and other such shapes ? ... in the middle picture.
Mal, thanks for the comments. I have to say that all those cuts were done on a table saw and that's all.
The shapes in the middle picture that you mentioned are the reverse of some of the ones in the other pictures.
Say hello to your wee wife.
Alan

Dale Parrott

Those look great Alan. I have been studying your photos for a few minutes now and my first 2 impressions of your blanks are (1) I'd like to see a few more pictures of your assembly process. Number 2 is, I'd like to thank you for saving all the time I would have spent making a segmented entry in next yeas's contest. I think you already have that wrapped up. Keep up the good work!
Dale

magpens

.... all those cuts were done on a table saw and that's all.

Thanks for reminding me, Alan. . . You have stated that before. . . But the patterns remind me of parquetry ... which, I think, is done by carefully cutting up pieces of veneer ... with very sharp, exact, knives ... and arranging them into similar patterns. . . Of course, parquetry is usually associated with more large scale work like patterning of wood pieces in decorative flooring. . . I might be using the term in an unusual way in relation to small scale patterning.

TDahl

Those are very nice Alan. I will join the others in waiting anxiously to see more photos of your work. Your definitely raised the bar on segmenting.

sorcerertd

They look like some great test pieces. Once you tighten up the seams you will have some amazing work. For some reason the one with the half "stars" on it catches my eye. I like the asymmetry of it. That and the pores of the endgrain give it an interesting texture, like different patterns on a quilt.

Alan Morrison

They look like some great test pieces. Once you tighten up the seams you will have some amazing work. For some reason the one with the half "stars" on it catches my eye. I like the asymmetry of it. That and the pores of the endgrain give it an interesting texture, like different patterns on a quilt.
Thanks for your comments, Todd. I realised that the full 'star' would lose too much of the pattern when turned so I tried a couple with just the half, and agree that it would remind you of a quilt pattern.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Those look great Alan. I have been studying your photos for a few minutes now and my first 2 impressions of your blanks are (1) I'd like to see a few more pictures of your assembly process. Number 2 is, I'd like to thank you for saving all the time I would have spent making a segmented entry in next yeas's contest. I think you already have that wrapped up. Keep up the good work!
Dale
Dale, thanks for the comments though I would still be competing if I were you!! I put a pen with a similar pattern in this year's competition and finished half way in the field.
I will put some photographs up soon. I already put some up in another thread; you can find them in my media photos.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Those are very nice Alan. I will join the others in waiting anxiously to see more photos of your work. Your definitely raised the bar on segmenting.
Thanks for your comments, Tim. As I said to Dale, I will put some photographs up soon. Check out my media photographs for a few of the process.
Alan

Top Bottom