Basic Wax Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawry76

Dear Friends,

This will probably make some of you groan, but I have another basic question. I'm not sure how to apply the final coat of wax to a pen. I'm sure it's second nature to many of you, but I'm never sure I'm doing it right. Say it's Ren wax. Thick or thin? Let it dry before buffing? Appoximately how long? More than one coat? Always buff by hand or do you ever run it over the soft buffer wheel? I have gotten fairly good with BLO/CA but there have been a few times when I felt the wax hindered more than helped. It seems redundant to me to put Crystal Coat or Shellwax on a pen that has been brought to a decent shine with BLO/CA, but I keep seeing reference to "protecting from fingerprints" so the wax makes sense. But it is that final step that doesn't quite feel right to me.

I continue to appreciate all the great advice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timdaleiden

Robert,

The way that I use Ren wax is to apply liberally, let it dry for a minute or two, and then buff lightly with a soft buffing wheel. I don't believe it is possible to do build coats with Ren wax.

If you are using TSW, others will have to describe the best method for use.

As for the Crystal Coat, and Shellawax, you don't need them if you are doing a BLO/CA finish.

Gary Max

No matter how I finish a pen or what the material is I always use TSW as the last step. I have tried several ways and find this to be the best way for me. I want all the shine I can get.

mrcook4570

I use my thumb and index finger to apply Ren Wax. I rub the Ren Wax on my fingers then rub it on the assembled pen until all surfaces are coated. It dries quickly and then I buff with a Bounty paper towel.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Welcome, Bryan. BLO is boiled linseed oil and CA is cyanoacrylate glue (super glue). There are a couple of articles accessible from the Articles section on the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom