Basic starter tool list

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

Is there a list of minimum tools needed to make a basic pen. I understand that tap/die sizes will change as design changes. For the sake of ease, I will start with a #6 nib.

Also, everything I read about Kitless seems to refers to fountain pens. Is it feasible to make rollerball versions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

We have a library here. Check it out.
I'll bet Google can find a tool list for making kitless or bespoke pens.
And yes, rollerballs are doable.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
LOL, You have two overlapping topics: (1) minimum tools needed to make a basic pen. And (2) Kitless, tap/die, fountain pens and rollerball versions. Yes, I clumped a bunch of topics under #2.

I will suggest that #1 is pretty straightforward; you will get a variety of good suggestions, but they will wander based on experience and preference.

#2 is not a 'basic' skill set topic, so it would be helpful (in my opinion) to get through #1 before #2.

OK, so my humble experience has led me to gravitate to:

3/4" Roughing Gouge (Sorby)
2 parting tools - 1/8" and 1/16" (Sorby)
Magicskew - all cutters
Easy Wood Tools - all cutters
Sorby Red Handled Micro tool Set.
3 set diamond hones

I probably have 10-15 more gouges/tools that I have rarely used... After 12 years, these are what I use 95% of the time.

I have never made a true kitless pen, used taps and dies (for pens ;) ); so I cannot offer suggestions for #2. I suspect others with better experience will chime in. Be well and have fun!

RichAldrich

Is there a list of minimum tools needed to make a basic pen. I understand that tap/die sizes will change as design changes. For the sake of ease, I will start with a #6 nib.

You can make a nib that holds a rollerball. design the nib to screw into the body. Similar to turning the nib portion on a pentel pencil. I had Rick make me a step drill for it. His work was superb. My dimensions were off. Last time I did one I used multiple bits....worked better for me. Did not have the exact dimensions down so needed to adjust on the fly.

Top Bottom