BASH Puzzle #9

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #9 is now ready. This is a wood identification puzzle.

Your challenge is to identify the 5 pen blanks in the photo below.

Here are the rules:
1. General IAP Contest rules and the General BASH Puzzle rules apply
2. You must send your entry to iap.puzzles@gmail.com
3. One entry per person and one guess per entry. Be sure to put Puzzle #9 in the Subject Line and include your real name and IAP user name in the body of the message along with your list of the 5 woods. Be sure to number your list 1-5 as shown in the photo.
4. You will earn one point toward the overall prize total if you get at least 3 correct and two points if you get all 5. You must match the name of the wood with the number shown. You will not get credit for getting a wood correct if it isn't numbered correctly.
5. Banter is expected and encouraged, but DO NOT post any hints or real guesses in this thread.
6. This contest will close at 10 pm Hawaii Time on Monday, Feb 24
7. In addition to earning points toward the grand prizes, each entry with the correct answer will also be entered into a drawing for one or more individual puzzle prizes

Here is a list of 10 woods. The 5 blanks in the photo are in this list. You just need to decide which 5 are in the photo and what order they are in.
PECAN
SYCAMORE
YELLOW HEART
HACKBERRY
APPLE
HICKORY
OSAGE ORANGE
HONEY LOCUST
KENTUCKY COFFEE TREE
TICKLE TONGUE

Good luck, have fun, and let me know if you have any questions

Edgar

Blanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Sanded endgrain photos? Janka hardness? Density? Odors (I wonder if Coffee Tree smells like coffee)? Taste (does Apple taste like apples, maybe Tickle Tongue tickles your tongue, I dunno)? Fluorescence?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sanded endgrain photos? Janka hardness? Density? Odors (I wonder if Coffee Tree smells like coffee)? Taste (does Apple taste like apples, maybe Tickle Tongue tickles your tongue, I dunno)? Fluorescence?

I have never tried it, but apparently chewing the leaves, bark, or twigs of Southern Pricklyash will cause a tingling sensation in the cheek & gums. It was used as a medicinal remedy by Native Americans and early settlers and was given the nicknames "Tickle Tongue" and "Toothache Tree" for that reason. It is also sometimes called "Hercules Club" because of its thick, strong thorns. It is commonly found in fence lines.

We do have it on our farm, but you have to decide if it is one of these blanks.

Top Bottom