BASH Puzzle #1 - ANSWER

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Puzzle #1 is now closed. After more than a week, we do have some correct answers, but not very many. I really didn't expect this one to be nearly this difficult. The correct answer is

OSAGE ORANGE
BODARK or BOIS D'ARC were acceptable answers.

This is the very same tree that was the subject of Puzzle #1 in 2016. The tree was freshly felled and cut at that time, but it is the exact same tree - just viewed from the opposite end and turned so that small branch at the top is not visible in the 2020 photos. See images below:

I tried to give some additional hints to help guide you to the right answer, even if you didn't make the connection to an earlier thread about the tree:
1. Note that there is little to no visible insect damage nor any significant cracking despite its obvious exposure to ground and weather for a significant period of time. A good indication of a stable and rot/disease/insect resistant tree - great characteristics of OO
2. Note the orange colorations of the bark that are still visible despite its weathering. This is a dead giveaway of OO trees.
3. While there is not a great deal of yellow or orange wood visible in the 2020 photos due to the weathering effects of the exposed wood, there is still some. That is also an OO characteristic.

Those who got the right answer will earn one point toward the overall prize total and will go into a drawing for the individual prizes for this puzzle. That drawing will be held at the end of the BASH Puzzle Contests.

Thanks to all who submitted an entry. Here are the links to the 2016 puzzle that featured this same tree. Note that I had to give that one two chances also because no one got the right answer on the first pass:

IMG_0103.JPG
2016 View of Tree.jpg

Dehn0045

Ok, so this one is still eating at me. First guess I was thinking Osage Orange, but then was like "he just did that a few years back, it can't be that easy" - I went with Mesquite, not really sure why, maybe because it seemed a little knarly. Then for guess number 2, I considered going back with OO, but thought the comment about bugs was a hint. I thought I saw some thorny branches in the pic, then it came to me, Locust, it must be a Locust - bugs, a play on words, it's perfect. Maybe Black, but Honey is more common in the area, so it must be Honey Locust.

Edgar 1, Sam 0

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Ok, so this one is still eating at me. First guess I was thinking Osage Orange, but then was like "he just did that a few years back, it can't be that easy" - I went with Mesquite, not really sure why, maybe because it seemed a little knarly. Then for guess number 2, I considered going back with OO, but thought the comment about bugs was a hint. I thought I saw some thorny branches in the pic, then it came to me, Locust, it must be a Locust - bugs, a play on words, it's perfect. Maybe Black, but Honey is more common in the area, so it must be Honey Locust.

Edgar 1, Sam 0

You never know, you might see this same tree again some day. šŸ˜‰

Top Bottom