RESULTS Bash 2022 - IAP Collection Contest Winners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There were four superb entries,
and all were worthy of inclusion in the
IAP Collection.
Congratulations to each for amazing artistry!

In Third Place:
Pen #3. Dale Lynch (Dale Lynch)

Title:
Rainbow Angelfish

Description: Black Titanium Executive with a rainbow angel fish double crosswrap. Thread used is black nylon, metallic yellow, green, blue, and magenta.This design is created by shifting the focus from the foreground to the background.

1905C2E5-1263-4D87-83C3-4689052722C9.jpeg
1905C2E5-1263-4D87-83C3-4689052722C9.jpeg
9844B055-C569-4A3B-9187-01DD4EAFE49D.jpeg
1159F637-0EA3-42AE-992B-099679D87A17.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In Second Place: Pen #1. Joe Tuinstra (Joebobber)

Title:
Modified Rifle Pen

Description: This black walnut rifle pen has had the fore stock shortened from the original design to make it look more like a rifle. I used a D1 ink paired with a mini bolt action spring and the ink adapter from a mini click pen. It has been hand sanded to 1000 grit, sealed, and then buffed with tripoli, white diamond, and carnuba.

87780746-CD30-4773-B4AF-623CDA6F1209.jpeg
2872E3E2-350E-4AED-BB66-E4488DEF40A4.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
And in First Place: Pen #4. Fred Bibollet Ruche (Fred Bruche)

Title of Your Entry:
Arizona on my mind

Description: Fountain pen made from Arizona desert ironwood combined with blue and white (almost turquoise) epoxy resin. The section uses a JoWo #6 steel nib, a two-tone version in the picture, but I think an all gold might work even better (sorry I currently don't have one of these in stock). CA finish for durability. My favorite feature is the subtle grain showing up in the sapwood areas.

(Note: Included is a third photo that 'your's truly' did not get downloaded correctly for the polling, but is here for posterity!)

68E13560-33EE-4593-826A-666D714E5F83.jpeg

66922304-7AE5-4E37-BD4C-733F7B16F5E3.jpeg

42FEE6E0-A85D-4405-A4D8-147FF0F141D0.jpeg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A final comment. The IAP Collection BELONGS to the IAP membership. It is a physical archive of our work and creations. It will be there after us!

It will only grow and be representative of US, if folks are interested in it and to contribute to it through the BASH contest(s). We all should appreciate those that enter this contest.

sorcerertd

Honestly I knew Dale made this, because of that sweet Sparkler pen he made a few weeks ago. What an awesome pen! Congrats!
Yes, Dale's pens are definitely stand out unique, and quite amazing. Looking through the collection, it really needs one of them in it.

Joe, your entry is pretty amazing, too. The shortened forestock does bring it into proportion very nicely. It was also the only one that I had no clue who made it.

Somehow , I knew that "Wow!" Kitless was Fred's handiwork.

The segmented pen was also beautiful. I have an idea, but... who dunnit?

Still 4 winners if you ask me.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, Dale's pens are definitely stand out unique, and quite amazing. Looking through the collection, it really needs one of them in it.

Joe, your entry is pretty amazing, too. The shortened forestock does bring it into proportion very nicely. It was also the only one that I had no clue who made it.

The segmented pen was from: Alan Morrison (alanemorrison).

5E70FC4F-74CB-4D2C-89B5-1CAF4865DFDC.jpeg
220D6824-B9D3-4A2F-A76B-7C41954F3D2B.jpeg
5E0C317B-995F-476B-BA80-FFE106529443.jpeg

Fred Bruche

Thank you all for the support!
I started making the blank during the Holidays break with the BASH in mind, starting a few and this one made the cut. Transitioning from hardwood to sapwood made it a bit difficult to drill but it worked in the end :)

Dale Lynch

I demand that Mark take good pics of my pen. Show everyone what they voted for. Thanks everyone for voting and participating.

Joe, your pen looks like an accurate mini replica.

Fred, that's a finely crafted writing instrument.

Alan, Nice segmenting, excellent alignment.

Fred Bruche

I demand that Mark take good pics of my pen. Show everyone what they voted for. Thanks everyone for voting and participating.

Joe, your pen looks like an accurate mini replica.

Fred, that's a finely crafted writing instrument.

Alan, Nice segmenting, excellent alignment.
Dale, I'm not claiming to be a pro at pen photography, but it feels like I am better equipped than you are. I'd be willing to give it a shot (pun intended) at taking pictures of your creation if you'd be willing to send it to me. Then I can send both your and my pens to Mark for the collection. You and Mark let me know, we can move to PM later if needed.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Dale, I'm not claiming to be a pro at pen photography, but it feels like I am better equipped than you are. I'd be willing to give it a shot (pun intended) at taking pictures of your creation if you'd be willing to send it to me. Then I can send both your and my pens to Mark for the collection. You and Mark let me know, we can move to PM later if needed.
That's a deal!!! As I have seen all the IAP Collection in person, I will attest that many are not well represented in photos. Some I have done better, some not much. This would be a very nice collaboration.

Last edited:

Joebobber

Thanks. I really hated the look with the longer front. The only trade off is instead of a Parker ink its a D1. But I figured since it's more of a gimmick pen the ink wouldn't really matter. It's more of a conversation piece, but 1 customer of mine uses his Thuya burl one to sign all of his contracts and stuff. He says everyone is always wanting to hold it n try it out. I am so honored to have 1 of my pens included in the collection.

MRDucks2

I loved the rifle pen and the ingenuity to re-proportion it. I actually voted for it before Mark got Fred's pen posted. Once completed, the vote was reset and unfortunately for Joe "Stunning" trumped "ingenuity" and I voted for Fred's entry. All were quite wonderful.

Joebobber

I loved the rifle pen and the ingenuity to re-proportion it. I actually voted for it before Mark got Fred's pen posted. Once completed, the vote was reset and unfortunately for Joe "Stunning" trumped "ingenuity" and I voted for Fred's entry. All were quite wonderful.
You can always vote for 1 of my other pens in the other contests to make it up to me. 😆 🤣 I am shocked my pen got as many votes as it did. I don't feel worthy to have my work next to Fred and Dale or the rest of the collection.

GaryMGg

And in First Place: Pen #4. Fred Bibollet Ruche (Fred Bruche)

Title of Your Entry:
Arizona on my mind

Description: Fountain pen made from Arizona desert ironwood combined with blue and white (almost turquoise) epoxy resin. The section uses a JoWo #6 steel nib, a two-tone version in the picture, but I think an all gold might work even better (sorry I currently don't have one of these in stock). CA finish for durability. My favorite feature is the subtle grain showing up in the sapwood areas.

(Note: Included is a third photo that 'your's truly' did not get downloaded correctly for the polling, but is here for posterity!)

View attachment 328348

View attachment 328349

View attachment 328347
Fred's pen is one of the prettiest I've seen.
It's just striking in all the right ways.

Top Bottom