BASH 2015 Prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

The attached spreadsheet is the list of prizes that have been offered.
I will keep it updated as more come in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dy4wLrnMzkzRxYcqrtQN3oD_KjuzgD4UHX5YY3OrH3Q/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dy4wLrnMzkzRxYcqrtQN3oD_KjuzgD4UHX5YY3OrH3Q/edit#gid=1405184603

Thanks

IM editing in the spread sheets that Bob has posted the links to so we can all see the activity MIke R
IAP Member Name Donation
Karl_99 I can provide a $50 box of pen blanks or (2) $25 boxes of pen blanks if it helps.
edohmann I'm in for 6 SFRBs of blanks this year.
Robert Sherlock I'll donate a Box Of Blanks ($25 minimum)
JohnU "please put me down for ( 3 ) Jr Gent size feather blank sets, each valued at $30.
I'll also be donating to the raffle drawing but I'm guessing that will be a different list later
with Jeff. "
firewhatfire I will do a box of some kind of blanks......As I have in the past it is worth more than the minimum. Could be solid cast or Tube-on cast.
blade.white I'll donate some blanks and kits, minimum ($50) on donated box.
southernclay Happy to donate a few nice blanks. I can mix up some nice wood with a couple casts. Let me know what I need to do from here.
MarkD I'll donate a box of blanks $40 +
jimm1 I will donate 2 set of 10 Jack Daniels blanks. Each valued at $31.00
jeweler53 "Ten blanks (mix of wood an man made)
Ten assorted kits (Various 7 mm)
Extra center bands, clips, tubes and transmissions
Bushings Total Worth $50.00+"
MikeL "Pen blanks:
Ironwood Burl x 2
Sarin wood Burl x2
Curly koa x 1
Red mallee Burl x 1
Black Palm x 1
Redwood burl x 1
Black and white ebony x 1
Big leaf maple Burl x 1
Purple alumilite
Spring color PR

PEN KIT:
Big Ben roller ball from PSI X 2"
healeydays I will be donating (2) lots of my honeycomb blanks valued at $100 per lot.
BURLMAN Box of burls and spalts.
lyonsacc box of stabilized blanks for the bash - at least $40 worth. Buckeye Burl, Black Palm, Corn Cobs, & some Spalted woods.
mark james 2 Boxes, approx. $40 each, blanks and kits/bushings
GaryMGg I will donate a box of blanks worth at least $25.00
Displaced Canadian 3 boxes of blanks. 22 in each box, 6 spalted birch, 6 flame alder, 6 something yellowish and greenish with lots of grain and 4 acrylic
Cmiles1985 I'll donate a box of pen blanks, a box of larger blanks and $100 in the form of four (4) $25.00 gift certificates from IAP vendors.
Ohio Penworks $100.00 to be spent at the IAP vendor of the winner's choice.
Spanx - Flat rate box of Cotton wood burls.
wood128 2 blanks worth $35.00
brnsfan Paua blanks worth $100
RObertKulp BOb $25.00
Jyreene tap and die set $70.00
steveg Bob $100.00
Mr Vic AAW membership $70.00
steve g- BOB $110
tlthw Gift cert $100
Kalai koa blanks
Lyonsacc Bob 40.00
R and B Crafts 4 - $50 Gift Certs
Mr. tune steam punk pen holder $125.00
sylvanite 4- $25.00 Gift certificates to Bulletpenkitcom
Dale Camino Bob $25.00
hdbblue Bob $25.00
Turkish Walnut.

Vendor spread sheet from the link in this post.

Vendor IAP Name Company Prize
Brooks803 Brook's Blanks Typically I like to put together a single high value box of my blanks to be used for a contest prize. Valued around $150 or so. I'm definitely down for doing that again as well as some smaller boxes worth approx. $50+.
Robutacion George's Bits of Timber US$200.00 in gift/prize vouchers not including shipping costs. I will work with you and divide this amount is any way you see fit, there is 4 @ $50, 5 @ $40 or 8 @ $25.00 or something similar. I understand that sometimes, you're short of prizes for everyone so this way, it will be distributed as required.
Stonepecker MN chapter of the IAP "I have the three boxes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for the kids contest.
Bob here are the prize values for the youth contest.
Value will be as follows

1st = $50.00
2nd = $40.00
3rd = $30.00

In case of a tie for 3rd place (like last year) I have enough blanks to make the same box for both people."
SatelliteCity Satellite City 5 Hot Stuff Pro Kits
rherrell Rick Herrell THREE $50 Gift Certificates for anything in my Vendors Catalog.
Constant Laubscher lazerlinez "I shall let you know shortly the qty's.
I will take part in the donations of prices. +/- $1000"
mredburn silverpenparts I will do 5 pen kits.
Ruth Niles As I have donated every year to the Birthday Bash, I will do it again with pleasure. Donating several items and sending them to Jeff sounds like a better deal and I would be able to donate a few additional items.
Easy Wood Tools We will send (1) Easy Start Rougher and in addition to the square cutter that comes on the tool, we will include (1) Ci2-R2 replacement cutter, (a favorite with pen turners who use EWT). Total retail value $75.00.
Chris Allen I still have tons of Hawaiian woods. I will get a nice big box ready and let you know what I have as soon as I get it done.
Dougswoodworking "I offered 3 tools and handles for three winners.
Any 3/8"" tool and a handle to go with it. Value from $95 to $105
Any 1/2 tool and a handle to go with it. Value from $100 to $110
Any 5/8 tool and a handle to go with it. Value from $120 to $150
I need to know the names and addresses of the winners."
OKLAHOMAN The Classic Nib put me down for 25 gift certificates of $25 each to Classic Nib ,3 Milescraft pen presses and one PH Designs Vise added 1- Rotundo turning tool.
Ken kallenshaan woods "5 assorted lasercut inlay kits with matching pen kits.
Total retail value would be $130."
Fritz McCorkle WoodTurningz, Inc. "Looking at last year we donated 5 - $25.00 gift cards.
We can do that again.
We don't actually send the cards.
Once you choose your winners just notify me with their names and email addresses and I send them codes that they can redeem so that you or we don't have to ship the cards.
Prizes must be redeemed by different individuals."

UPdates for 1-14-15
Lee Valley Tools Ltd. 1 x $50 gift card
Bear Tooth Woods "Package 1:

1 Lava Pen Blank - Golden Smoke
1 Color Explosion Pen Blank - Liberty
1 Lava Explosion Pen Blank - Big Easy
-- these retail for $9 each ($8.50 for 3) - $25.50 total value

Package 2:

8 Bear Tooth Woods Acrylic Pen Blanks -- misc. colors (retail at $3.50 each-$28 total value) - Electric Disco, Dirty Denim, Red Tangerine, Vixen Pebble, Pretty in Pink, Blue Topaz Water Mesh, Lilac Pearl, and Lava Flows.

Package 3:

8 Bear Tooth Woods Acrylic Pen Blanks -- all Water blanks (retail at $3.50 each-$28 total value) - Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Amber, Blue Topaz, Canary, Lilac, and Citrine Water Mesh

Package 4:

Bushings
Baron Rollerball - Bright Copper
Lava/Lava Explosion Blank - Copper Forest Lava Explosion
--$31.50 total value

Package 5:

Bushings
Virage Rollerball - Gunmetal
Lava/Lava Explosion Blank - Green Teal Mist Lava
--$26.60 total value

Package 6:

3"" call blank - Citrine Water
Duck Call Insert - Clear Polished
Tooling Set
Accent Band - Plain Brass
--$30.77 total value"

Bad Dogs Burl Source TBD
Wood-N-Whimsies 1 - $50 GC 2- $25.00 GC

Hopefully this will open for those of you that can open an Excel file Latest upload 2/03/15

[

Attachments

• bash 11 prizes.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:

Magicbob

If you are a donor and I have failed to list your info within a couple of days of your notice to me.
Please PM me again.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I know that you posted a vendor donation thread earlier but you may want to post a thread calling on the members that would like to donate a BOB (box of blanks) or other prizes. Then bump it ever so often.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The prize shelf a is cleared and ready to receive whatever is to be sent to me prior to the Bash.

Jeff Brown
23618 Concord Dr
Westlake, OH 44145

It might be good to add a column like "delivery" to indicate who should be notified when the prize should be shipped. You can put "Jeff" in for anything sent to me, and perhaps a name and email for things that the donators will hold until awarded.

So maybe under the deliver column you can put "Jeff" when I'm waiting for it, and "Jeff - ON HAND" once I let you know I've received it.

I think it's critical that we have a full list of prizes by about the 21st of Jan. It really confuses things when someone comes late with a donation. I had a couple cases where we didn't have a place to use a prize and the donator got annoyed we didn't use it.

Have we made public solicitation of prizes? If so, point me to the thread and I'll put a link to it on the front page. Sort of a "if you want to donate, please do it now!"

Thanks

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
How are we doing with prizes in the >$100 class? I am starting to make a list of what I need to purchase to round out the Donation Drawing. We usually have 18-25 prizes in the drawing valued $100-$200. Last year we had 42 prizes total, 8 of which I purchased. Here is a link to last year's drawing.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Bob - Is the spreadseheet at the link in the first post above up to to date?

Mike R., how many total contest prizes do we need based on the average needs of the last couple years? We need 18-25 $100-$300 drawing prizes.

Unless there is a large, rapid influx of prizes, I don't see how we'll conduct the donation drawing. We can't afford to buy all of the prizes, (We usually round out the donated prizes with 6-10 purchased prizes).

I need to make a firm decision on scaling back or canceling the donation drawing by Jan 16.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have had 125-135- in the last Bash. I will go over the proposed contests and get you a target number for this years bash. We can reduce the over all prize count by 28 by not awarding 2 prizes per day in the trivia or the replacement contests. Of that 135 some went to the losers contests.
I have not seen a commitment yet from Exotics or Curtis but they always come through.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, Exotics will be represented when the need is there.

Has anyone approached the benefactors of the Group buys??
Dayacom got several thousand dollars of IAP members' money,
CSUSA has had several
Penn State has had two,

What are they giving as a "thank you" for all this free business??

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We have had 125-135- in the last Bash. I will go over the proposed contests and get you a target number for this years bash. We can reduce the over all prize count by 28 by not awarding 2 prizes per day in the trivia or the replacement contests. Of that 135 some went to the losers contests.
I have not seen a commitment yet from Exotics or Curtis but they always come through.

Wasn't this reduced to a one week contest? If so, even if you stick to two prizes a day, it will reduce the need by 42 prizes. (Was 28 days, now 7 days, means 21 fewer days times two prizes=42)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It was but we have not clarified whether or not the puzzle contest will be daily prizes.
With the proposed contest schedule we will need around 75 prizes of equal value without the Donation Drawing being Factored in. We have a couple commitments with no firm prize count that have not been finalized.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Bob, who have you not yet contacted from the list I gave you - and do you know who hasn't responded who have donated significant prizes in years past?

I'd be happy to reach out to some of them and see if we can't get some more high value prizes...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Another thought, whenever Exotics is mentioned as a source, SOMEONE will be certain to say, "you can also get that from Ernie or Arizona Silhouette"/

I would think they would want to be represented in the bash!! They are both much larger and more established (make lots more money) than Exotics.
(OR, in the future can we say, "These are additional vendors, but they choose not to support IAP"??)

What about William Woodwright, he got a lot of very nice comments last week---does HE support IAP?

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bob, Andrew and Mikes, I will be talking to Berea this week---I can get their support, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I definitely agree that most of the highest value prizes should be allocated to the donation drawing.

I would really like to have 1 or 2 daily prizes for the puzzle contest along with 1-3 overall prizes for those who garner the most points during the contest if there are enough small prizes to go around. I'll update the rules for the puzzle contest once it's clearer as to what prizes will be available this year.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Right now there are not enough resources to alot that many prizes to the puzzles.
I also prioritize prizes to the pen making contests then the other contests while trying to make it equitable.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Prizes certainly need to go to the real contests. Daily trivia, puzzles, etc, need to be at the bottom of the list for prize distribution. Puzzles at least started out as just a fun contest with no prizes, just bragging rights and still had a lot of participation. I still firmly believe puzzles and trivia both should go with a points system and award 1st 2nd and 3rd at the end.

As for prizes from TurnTex...of course there will be some. Just need to sit down and decide what works best. Jeff, there will certainly be something of high value for the donation drawing as there has always been.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Another thought, whenever Exotics is mentioned as a source, SOMEONE will be certain to say, "you can also get that from Ernie or Arizona Silhouette"/

I would think they would want to be represented in the bash!! They are both much larger and more established (make lots more money) than Exotics.
(OR, in the future can we say, "These are additional vendors, but they choose not to support IAP"??)

What about William Woodwright, he got a lot of very nice comments last week---does HE support IAP?

Ernie hasn't supported the Bash in years, and Arizona Silhouette made it clear that I shouldn't contact him - but that was before it switched owners - it might be worth a try again.

William woodwrite stopped supporting the Bash after they opened their own online penturning forum.

PR_Princess

Prizes certainly need to go to the real contests. Daily trivia, puzzles, etc, need to be at the bottom of the list for prize distribution. Puzzles at least started out as just a fun contest with no prizes, just bragging rights and still had a lot of participation. I still firmly believe puzzles and trivia both should go with a points system and award 1st 2nd and 3rd at the end.

Agreed.

But....what if we incorporated a version of both prize systems into all of the Bash contests?

For example - In Pen Contest A First place might be a Gift Cert for $100.00 and 100 Bash Points, 2nd place $50.00 and 50 Bash Points, 3rd $25.00 25 Bash points...4th maybe 10 bash points etc. Top "pointer" could be the Bash Champ of the IAP...complete with maybe a note under his name (?) Champion plaque (?), and Bash Points could be redeemed for ...well what ever we dream up :biggrin: (DD chance?)

If done bash wide and with a points "leader board" being posted publicly (updated periodically) this could encourage additional participation, as well as offering an additional layer of competition, bragging rights and fun.

It might also take some heat off of the prize gathering for the individual contests....while freeing up even more for the DD.

Thoughts?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Bash points is an interesting concept & worthy of some consideration.

I would be reluctant to award extra DD entries based on bash points though - as I understand it, the higher end DD prizes are there to encourage folks to make cash donations/merchandise purchases for IAP financial support.

A separate category of smaller prizes being awarded based on bash points might work though. Perhaps anyone who did not win 1st-3rd place in a contest could be awarded a prize package based on their number of bash points. That would ensure that no one would win more than one of the lessor prizes and should simplify tracking the prize awards.

People could still possibly win multiple awards if they place 1st-3rd in multiple contests - I don't see anything wrong with that, and they could also win something in the DD contest in addition to a place finish or a bash points prize.

The only drawback that I see is that, other than the 1st-3rd place finishes, no one else would know if they win a prize until the end of the month. The daily prize awards were a lot of fun & generated some entertaining banter.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have added the prize donations as I have them to the first POST! I will continue to update it as I can. Bob if you forward me anything you recieve in a PM I will add it to your list.

Dale Lynch

Would you guys be interested in a large flat rate box of small cottonwood burls for a prize?Maybe for the casting contest.

Dale Lynch

I don't know how to value it.They are small whole burls with bark still on them.The tree they came from was cut down last summer and I got a truckload for free.I am willing to fill up the largest flat rate box.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We will take it and be thankful for it. I will dedicate to the casting contest.

Mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THere is a spread sheet in the first post by Bob that I have added as an Excell spread sheet.

Ed McDonnell

We will take it and be thankful for it. I will dedicate to the casting contest.

Mike

There isn't a "casting' contest this year. We've broadened our horizons and are having a blank making contest. Casters are welcome to participate and compete against other types of blank makers. It would be cool to have someone do a cast metal blank....I wonder who has that ability? :wink:

Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
True we dont have a casting contest it will go to the blank making contest. Cast metal blanks are soooooo over rated. A little bronze, some silver anyone can do it.

Dale Lynch

Mike,here is the box of burls I am talking about.If you still think it worthy I would be glad to donate it.

I do have a problem though.While I was picking up the box I looked up how much it cost to ship it.I can't afford to ship it out of country$50-80.

Let me know what you'd like me to do.

Attachments

• DSCF3069.jpg
    DSCF3069.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF3068.jpg
    DSCF3068.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 105

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We would have a substitute prize they could pick from in that case, some other countries dont let you bring raw wood in.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Andrew there is a list in the prize thread, first post that is up to date as of yesterday, the attachment area has an Excel file with them all as well.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We would have a substitute prize they could pick from in that case, some other countries dont let you bring raw wood in.

We recently lost a shipment to German customs because it included 10 blanks of cocobolo. They wanted proof of where it was purchased. They confiscated the wood and gave the customer a real hassle about his "illegal activity".

Exotics has now changed our policy---we will not ship any wood internationally, except local species.

Another consideration regarding international: We thought about giving a vacuum pump as one prize---but the electric will only work in the USA> I know IAP wants to keep the "International" flavor, but in some cases, it doesn't work real well.

Food for thought,
Ed

Top Bottom