Bash 11 Rules Review - Pen Blank Creation Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

How about adding a 5th photo if it is of an entire blank with label identifying the section submitted.

Hi Jim - I just wrote a new rule that goes like this:

If you are cropping a photo of a longer blank to meet the size limit, all photos must be of the same section of the blank. No picking the best section of each side of the blank to submit. Wrap tape around the blank at the ends of the area you are submitting to help you insure you take pictures of the same section of the blank in each shot. The edges of the tape should be visible in the final photo.

Maybe that will do it.

Ed McDonnell

I've made some changes to the rules based on the discussion here and comments I've received through other channels. The changes to the ruless are in the process of being made. I'll post here when the changes are done and you can check them out.

Ed McDonnell

I am currently contemplating another rule change.

Since the contest this year includes every kind of made blank and not just cast blanks, it makes things a little more complicated. A round cylinder may not be a suitable form for every type of blank. Some blanks might need to be something other than a cylinder to show off the full detail of the blank or to keep the incorporated design in perspective.

I can see modifying rule #5 so that we are not limited to straight sided cylinders for the entries. I would change "turned round" to something like "finished as though it was ready to be assembled into a pen". I think I would also eliminate the 0.5" diameter limitation.

But what if someone took a piece of wood and carved/cut it into a hexagon like pen #8 in the IAP Collection (check out the collection if you haven't already).

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=27140

It's a single piece of wood, but significant work was required to shape it. Should that qualify for the contest? What if someone took a wood blank and hand carved it into a green man or whatever. Still a single piece of wood, but would hours of hand carving qualify it as a "made" blank for this contest?

If someone did a segmented design that was intended to be shown as a hex it would qualify. But I think they should be allowed to show the blank as a hex rather than round, where the design might not show up correctly.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking. What do you think?

Ed

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

Ed,why the change on #3 under how to enter?I was looking forward to sharing.

Hi Dale - I originally wrote the rules for 4 pictures submitted. 3 of the blank and 1 of the materials. During the discussion period it became clear to me that 4 pictures of the blank would be better than 3. I had to decide whether to go to 5 pictures total or drop the materials picture. I decided to drop the materials picture and stay with 4 pictures.

But maybe I should have gone the other way and we should get those materials pictures. Maybe I could use them as teasers to keep the interest up while we are waiting for the entry deadline. Or do something with them after the contest.

How does everyone feel about bumping up to 5 pictures for contest entry? 4 of the blank and 1 of the materials?

Ed

Last edited:

Dale Lynch

Ed,I don't think you need to go to 5 pics.3 pics of the blank is plenty.Unless you are handy enough with a camera to take pics so close you can only see one quarter of the blank.Take a stroll through SOYP and you can clearly see at least a third of any individual pen at any time so I think 3+1,the way you had it is the way to go.

jttheclockman

Wow. Way more complicated than it needs to be. Just reading all this is better than looking at the pens. :biggrin:

robutacion

In relation to photographing the round blank's 4 faces, some of you may remember that I do that occasionally when I make some blanks and show them here on IAP.

If I'm trying to show the blank's surface all around and don't have a slow motion rolling table and a video camera to record images of a complete blank rotation, the next best thing is to look at the end of the blanks and mark a cross on it, then you write a number or a letter, on the round surface just below from where the ends of the cross meet the outer edge, this way, you can very accurately position your blanks (a little wedge(s) under it will help) with what is considered, that marked blank's face.

Its nothing that difficult to do, the cross markings will allow you to show clearly the full rotation surface of the blank, by 1/4 at the time...!

Good luck,

Does this mean that, I have to make some more pretty blanks, and turn them as samples...??? or I just could pick one of the hundreds I have done and in boxes...!:eek::wink::)

Cheers
George

Ed McDonnell

Dale - When I was taking the sample photos I posted earlier I found that with only 3 pictures it was possible for flaws to "accidentally" not be shown. 4 pictures not only eliminates that problem, but it is easier to do. George posted a good tip on how to do 4 photos and I'm going to post some tips on how to use a super simple easy to make (for a pen turner) photo aid. More on that later.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Does this mean that, I have to make some more pretty blanks, and turn them as samples...??? or I just could pick one of the hundreds I have done and in boxes...!:eek::wink::)

Cheers
George

Hi George - Thanks for sharing the photo tip. It would be fantastic if you enter this contest. It would be even more fantastic if you were to make something a little extra special for the contest. Maybe something you have been wanting to do but have not gotten around to?

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Hi John - Animated gifs are so last century. :biggrin: I'm waiting for affordabe virtual reality goggles so we can send 3D images to the voters that they can examine in detail in their virtual world......until then 4 2d static photos will have to do.

Ed

jttheclockman

Maybe you could do this in the photographing of the pen.:biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, no "problemo" you supply the software and the know how and we may all do that, huh...???

Great representation/example, though...!

Cheers
George

George no software needed. If you have photoshop or something similar it can be done. There are even better ways to do things like that. I did that many years ago when I made those knot pens.

Hi John - Animated gifs are so last century. :biggrin: I'm waiting for affordabe virtual reality goggles so we can send 3D images to the voters that they can examine in detail in their virtual world......until then 4 2d static photos will have to do.

Ed

Ed I bet we are not far away. :biggrin: Maybe we get someone with a 3D printer and send the entry pens to them and they can make copies and send them out to the membership to actually look at and touch. :biggrin:

All fun aside I will let you get back to the task at hand. Seems like you have your hands full. Good luck and I will be watching. :beer:

Ed McDonnell

The rules have been edited for the latest changes. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping we are now good to go. Have a look at the edited rules in the first post to this thread.

If you see something you don't like, then send a PM to D.Oliver and southerclay. Tell them you don't like how this contest is shaping up. :biggrin: (or you could just post here, but I think the Derek / Warren option is better. Tell them McDiddy sent you.).

Ed

D.Oliver

Folks due to larger number of PM's I'm getting I'm just going to post my response here so I don't have keep typing out everytime. So here it is.........

Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. ___________
Thank you for your PM regard the Pen Blank Creation Contest. I beleive I have a simple solution to address your concerns with the Pen Blank Creation Contest. My solution is to head over to the DAILY TRIVIA CONTEST! Tell' em McDiddy Sent you!

Last edited:

robutacion

Cheers
George

Hi George - Thanks for sharing the photo tip. It would be fantastic if you enter this contest. It would be even more fantastic if you were to make something a little extra special for the contest. Maybe something you have been wanting to do but have not gotten around to?

Ed

Hahahahah mate, I was only kidding, I would never do that, after all, where is the challenge in that...???:wink:

I'm considering to participate, after all, I make blanks, right...???:biggrin:

We will see...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom