Barry Gross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Got an ad today from PSI and in it they had a short video of Barry Gross addressing some of the most common questions and thoughts about our hobby of making pens. Now I am not a huge Barry Gross fan for various reasons but will leave that alone. I watched the clip and thought it was me who was doing the talking. He was saying all the things I have said over the years not only with making and selling pens but also my scrollsaw work. (By the way Barry started out in the scrollsaw business too) If you are just a beginner or even a veteran pen maker and seller you really need to watch this short video. It is spot on with everything he says and down to the short and sweet of what we do. Could not express it any better. I think he is at a show somewhere here too but this is for PSI. Take a look. You owe it to yourself.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/...HI7vlax3FnEpJnZ5DlJ3PzYKfOWF27jNhuKEs=.Ue3WPw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

I just finished watching/listening to Barry's video. Excellent job and some common sense for anyone who wants to do shows. Thanks to Barry and PennState.

KMCloonan

Thanks for sharing John. I watched the video, and you are right. Everything he says makes sense. I do have to say though, I think everything he mentions in the video, I had already heard/read here on IAP at some point. So Barry's video is more of a confirmation of everything I learned on this site. It's just nice to see it all packaged into a 20 minute video.

jttheclockman

Thanks for sharing John. I watched the video, and you are right. Everything he says makes sense. I do have to say though, I think everything he mentions in the video, I had already heard/read here on IAP at some point. So Barry's video is more of a confirmation of everything I learned on this site. It's just nice to see it all packaged into a 20 minute video.
You are correct and many times I have recited many of the things he mentions. We just about started the same time doing shows because I remember him and have talked to him when we were doing scrollsaw picnics back in the day. There are other points that have been mentioned times here as well and those consist of have confidence in your work. Do the very best job you can to represent the work you want to be known for and that includes fit and finish of your pens. Carry with you a pen of yours that you are proud of and you too can make those quick sales. I have done it a few times myself. Treat each and every customer as they were your family member and long time friend. Return customers grow out of relations like that. Make something that is unusual and sets you apart from the many pen turners out there and if you do come in competition at a show you will set the standard to be matched. It is a hobby that can bring in some $$$. Good luck.

its_virgil

Barry is a good friend, an excellent pen maker and pen seller as well. Great video my friend. Thanks for your help, your support and your encouragement for the last 20+ yrs. I purchased my first pen kits from Barry.

Thanks JT for sharing the video.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Gregf

I helped my sisters with shows selling polymer clay jewelry for several years. He is dead on with his info. Especially engaging with people. I'll add one additional "Don't do". Don't eat in your booth. It looks unprofessional, in my opinion. And you aren't ready to talk to people.

Penchant 4

Barry is a good guy. Had several opportunities to talk to him at pen shows and got to know him a little. Today is actually his birthday too :)
Barry is indeed a good guy...a great guy. His wealth of knowledge in the pen making, and business realms is broad and deep.

I have taken his pen making workshops at Marc Adams School of Woodworking several times. Each one is a rewarding and fun week.

Mortalis

Nice video with great information.
He was spot on about having a pen with you. I will generally carry an 'EDC' with me and a 'show off' pen. I let someone borrow the show off pen when asked. And I will more times than not get the inquiry, "Ooo, where'd you get that?" or "I really like the feel of that pen". I never know how to respond to the question after I've told someone, "I made that pen" and they ask "you made that whole thing?" and they are looking at the metal parts of the assembly. Then what do you say?

I have a difficult time listening to someone that uses, "you know" and "alright" a lot while making their presentation/dissertation. It distracts me from the message they are trying to get across.

Top Bottom