Barrel Trimmer Shafts 12.5 and 10.5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

Curious, are there barrel trimmer shafts for cleaning tube insides that come in 12.5 and 10.5 mm for the Dayacom Junior series? For some reason, I'm not seeing those sizes available.j

Follow-up question: what other ways are there to clean stray epoxy out of tubes? I've tried scraping it off with a rattail file, and also sandpaper, but it's not working well enough.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Don't get glue inside the tubes by plugging the end that is inserted. Many ways to plug them. My preference is dental base plat wax. Some use potato, clay, plumbers putty, etc.

To answer your question: yes, they are available.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

greenacres2

I use a cotton swab to do a quick swipe of paste wax on the inside of the tube before gluing with CA or epoxy. After glue cures for 10 minutes or so, a 7/32" transfer punch at the diagonal of the tube pops any stray glue right off. (when using epoxy, i also use a sheet of dental base wax inside the tube, really helps.
Good luck.
earl

hokie

Lots of sizes here...

DrD

Just got a 12.5 and a 10.5 Whiteside from CSUSA. Be aware, if you are using the older Pen Reamer Cutter Heads, the bore diameter thru the head will be too small, ~0.185". The shaft on the newer Whiteside reamers is ~0.233" and requires the 3/4" cutter head, p/n 9075. Just a heads up. CSUSA also sells "Pen Makers Choice Beeswax Sheets" p/n 1055750001 for plugging tube ends.

JonathanF1968

Thank you! Helpful. Not sure why those sizes are rare on the sites I usually frequent.

I'm a beekeeper and always looking for ways to use my beeswax. I wonder if there's a way to make it it work here. Maybe add something like mineral oil to it to soften it up so that it can be spread? Not sure what dental wax is, exactly. It is the consistency of putty, right?

philipff

My inside barrel cleaner is a 20 gauge brass brush I keep for that singular purpose. Very effective on a spinning blank being held in the jaws of a chuck. Guns get a different brush.

DrD

I can see a barrel brush; would have never guessed 20 ga - .410, .357 maybe, but, as always whatever works, works. Thanks!

JonathanF1968

A followup about homemade paste wax using beeswax. Here are some ratios/recipes for making paste wax, using beeswax and boiled linseed oil or mineral oil. I haven't tried these yet. My guess is that the soft one would be best for this purpose of using inside tubes:

Paste Wax Recipes

Hard: 2:1 Wax to Oil
Medium: 2:3 Wax to Oil
Soft: 1:2 Wax to Oil

Technique is to melt the beeswax and then add the oil.

Curly

Marla bought the smooth sheets of bees wax used by candlemakers from a store owned by a bee keeper. The kind they roll around a wick, about 1/16" thick. You must have seen it from one of the beekeeping suppliers. Press the tube into the wax cookie cutter style, glue in the tubes and then remove the wax disc.

JonathanF1968

My inside barrel cleaner is a 20 gauge brass brush I keep for that singular purpose. Very effective on a spinning blank being held in the jaws of a chuck. Guns get a different brush.

I just bought a set of brass brushes, and they worked beautifully. Really nicely cleaned up the barrel interiors. The $10 cost was what a single additional shaft would have cost.

Top Bottom