Barrel trimmer problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedgerton

I recently ran into a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or if anyone has a tip.

I just started turning cigar pens with 10mm tubes. I purchased a 10mm barrel trimmer from Woodcraft only to find out that it won't fit into the 10mm tubes from my pen kits.

I thought these things were standardized with respect to sizing. I did purchase the pen kits from Woodturningz but I don't believe they are sized incorrectly in any way. I just find it curious that 10mm kits and tools may be incompatible. With the 7mm stuff I've been doing, there has been no problem with mixing and matching between suppliers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

No, mine did the same thing. I bought both the tubes and the trimmer from them, it's not even cose to fitting. I just put mine on the shelf and turned a homemade spacer.

jtate

I turned some homemade bushings from corian this weekend and I'm really happy with them. I expect they'd work well on barrel trimmer's too so I'm going to turn some of those too.

Skye

I dont know about him, but that's what I did. They were really off. I'd say the OD of the trimmer matched the OD of the barrels rather than the ID. Way messed up.

Woodlvr

When I purchased some Rattlesnake Cigar pen blanks from Woodturningz awhile back Ryan told me that there was a difference between the kits from him and Woodcraft.

jedgerton

Originally posted by Skye
<br />No, mine did the same thing. I bought both the tubes and the trimmer from them, it's not even cose to fitting. I just put mine on the shelf and turned a homemade spacer.
Thanks, now I know I'm not completely crazy. I also turned my own spacer using a 7mm tube and some wood scraps I had in the shop. When I return the trimmer to Woodcraft, I plan to see if it fits the kits they have in stock. From your experience, it sounds like it will be a no go.

jedgerton

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I take it you tried to put them directly in the tubes themselves, before any glue-up or the like?
Yes, I tried on tubes before any glue up. I measured the ID of the tubes to be about 0.360 and the barrel trimmer was 0.370. Definitely not a fit!

jedgerton

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. This was my first post and I can see that there is a great deal of experience out there to call upon. I hope to be as helpful once I have some experience under my belt!

jedgerton

Here is the final chapter on this issue.

Went to Woodcraft today and confirmed that this barrel trimmer was indeed out of spec. It wouldn't fit their kits.

To their credit, they opened all of the barrel trimmers they had in stock and found one that was properly dimensioned! Thats what I call great service.

I guess 10mm isn't always 10mm.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by jedgerton
<br />Here is the final chapter on this issue.

Went to Woodcraft today and confirmed that this barrel trimmer was indeed out of spec. It wouldn't fit their kits.

To their credit, they opened all of the barrel trimmers they had in stock and found one that was properly dimensioned! Thats what I call great service.

Welcome to the wonderful world of penturning!!! You'll get used to it.

OKLAHOMAN

I can see this going down hill in a hurry[}:)][}:)]
Originally posted by angboy
<br />
Originally posted by jedgerton
<br />

Especially if it's a man doing the measuring- it's bound to be off, in one direction or the other! [}:)][}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom