Barrel Trimmer for large bore sizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

Hi all

Newbie warning

Hope this is the correct section for this topic, perhaps a mod could move it if not

So being new to pen turning I have bought a few kits to get me started, most use a standard 7mm tube so no problem with them but a couple are large fountain pens and take a much larger tube, 12 and 14mm, my question is regarding using a barrel trimmer on the larger pens, I have one of the Common universal barrel trimmers that goes from 7 to 10mm, but can't find anything that can be used with the larger diameter pens.

Are larger than 10mm barrel trimmer available or if not what do you all use when working on a larger than normal pen.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I highly recommend using a disk sander rather than the barrel trimmers. I use Rick Herrel's offset sanding jig and a set of transfer punches, but there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Check out the IAP Library - look under the Tips, Tools & Jigs category - there are two excellent tutorials for squaring blanks on belt & disk sanders.

Kenny Durrant

They have sleeves for that. It's a metal cylinder that slides inside the tube and you use your 7mm barrel turner to trim the ends. Another way is to glue a 7mm tube in a scrap blank and turn to the proper diameter to make your own. I use both for my trimming. Then there's the sanding method mentioned above.

TDahl

I am going to strongly recommend you get Rick Herrel's offset jig. I have tried barrel trimmers, and a PSI jig for disc sanders. Don't waste your money or your time on anything else.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska,

Along with others, I highly recommend using some kind of sanding jig, and especially Rick Herrell's offset Jig, especially if you don't currently have a disc sander. With Rick's jig you use your lathe to square the blank. (Rick makes all sort of pen turning tooling - and his designs and workmanship is top notch!)

Personally, I use a home built sanding jig on my belt and disc sander. As with many of the typical barrel trimmers it uses sleeves to hold the blank on the jig so the surface is square with the sanding disc, perpendicular to the center axis of the tube. (I started with a purchased jig, but it didn't fit as tightly in the miter slot on my sander as I wanted, so I built my own).

I do also have a nice carbide barrel trimmer (pen mill) that fits over various reamers so the tube can be reamed/cleaned at the same time the blank is squared, but I since I started sanding to square the blanks I only use the barrel trimmer on a rare occasion when I need to clean bits of epoxy or CA that got inside the tube and usually I just use the reamer without the barrel trimmer installed. The reamers are 7mm, 8mm, 3/8-in, 10mm, 10.5mm and 12.5mm.

Regards,
Dave

PS I also attached a couple of thumbnail pictures of the squaring jig I use with my belt sander. (Click on them to enlarge them).

IMG_2068.JPG IMG_2069.JPG

wouldentu2?

Take a 7mm tube , glue a blank on it and turn that down to the diameter needed to fit that large tube you plan on using.

Hi all

Newbie warning

Hope this is the correct section for this topic, perhaps a mod could move it if not

So being new to pen turning I have bought a few kits to get me started, most use a standard 7mm tube so no problem with them but a couple are large fountain pens and take a much larger tube, 12 and 14mm, my question is regarding using a barrel trimmer on the larger pens, I have one of the Common universal barrel trimmers that goes from 7 to 10mm, but can't find anything that can be used with the larger diameter pens.

Are larger than 10mm barrel trimmer available or if not what do you all use when working on a larger than normal pen.

Thanks for any help with this.

Paul
Back when I was doing pens, I ran into same situation.... I took a series of the 7MM tubes, glued them into a nice scrap hardwood and then turned them down to the size I needed for the larger tubes... I think I did use one of the larger barrel trimmers and fit the brass tube over the guide and then slid the turned down tubes into the larger tubes... worked fine for me.
Also used a disc sander on my little 1" belt sander for some, but you had to be careful to keep the tube/blank absolutely square to the disc.

KMCloonan

I am in the sanding jig group. I used a barrel Trimmer for years, and had an occasional tear-out which was annoying, so I ordered a sanding jig from Rick H. and never looked back.

Paul-H

Thanks for the replies.

I now know what the brass tube included with my barrel trimmer kit was for, to make my own custom bushing.

Coincidentally I do have a disk sander, never even thought of using that.

Thanks again

Paul

Top Bottom