Barrel trimmer flaring finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

I finished, with CA, 6 Sierra pens - when I removed the finished blank the CA had left some ragged edges. I ran the ends of the blank up against the lathe-mounted trimmer & GENTLY squared the ends. What I found on the last 3 pens was that there was a slight flaring of the CA even though I had trimmed back to bare brass tubing.
You can hardly see the flare but you can feel it. I read somewhere that some take and roll the end of the barrel on steel surface at a 45 deg. angle to break the flare. This was noticeable now as an unfinished ring at each end of the blank. Sure would appreciate your coaching - thanks in advance. P.S. would love to have provided photos but I can't get close enough with my phone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Does the flare exist after sanding, polishing, buffing? I have not had that experience or just never noticed it.

FGarbrecht

Sounds like you shouldn't use a barrel trimmer for this application if it's causing the CA to flare. I just sand the ends if necessary with my simple little lathe mounted sanding jig.

studioseven

I second the above post. Take a small sheet of somewhat medium sandpaper (on a flat surface) and while handholding the blank rub it in a circular pattern. This will usually remove the excess CA.

Seven

jttheclockman

I too agree with the sanding thing. That is how I do it but I also make sure I dab some thin CA on those ends. Want to seal them.

Barrel trimmers have know to be misaligned and thus do not finish square. There are past posts here on that. I am not going to do the search for it but you can look for them.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Could it be you're turning between centers without bushings? That would flare the ends.

Wait a minute!!! I just read your second post. You're supposed to use the barrel trimmer BEFORE you turn, sand and finish.
Nothing wrong with my trimmer after 11 years. You just have to sharpen the blades occasionally. It just sounds to me, you may have things reversed. That's all I can offer, and hope you work it out.

Last edited:

magpens

@Dalecamino

Could it be you're turning between centers without bushings? That would flare the ends.

Wait a sec, Chuck .... when you start the turning between centers, is it not the case that the brass tube is already glued into the blank ?

And with the support of the blank material there should be no flaring of the brass tube, it seems to me ... that's the way I do my TBC.

Woodchipper

I use 150 grit sandpaper to clean up the ends of the blank. Hold the sandpaper and lightly move the blank in a figure 8 pattern for a couple of seconds. Trimmer isn't needed.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know you can't get a good close up picture but it would help. There are several variables here in which the words can be taken or implied to have different meanings, resulting in varied responses.

When you mentioned "roll the end", it is, or was a common procedure to take some Very fine sandpaper or 6000+ mm and grip lightly the ends and make a few simple turns of the SP on the ends. This effectively causes a "round over" of the ends and makes the mating of the end of the tubed blank to the fitting (i.e. center band, nib end etc) - transition better.

Another item that came to my mind was: What you said was also sort of common where CA on the end of the tube flared out slightly and "lifted" off of the end, leaving a tiny unsightly spot or ring - which is often caused by breaking the finished blank away from the bushings. That is a problem that is solved by using the TBC method.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
@Dalecamino

Wait a sec, Chuck .... when you start the turning between centers, is it not the case that the brass tube is already glued into the blank ?

And with the support of the blank material there should be no flaring of the brass tube, it seems to me ... that's the way I do my TBC.
Mal, of course start turning TBC with the tubes already glued in. Then you trim the ends. Either with a trimmer, or sanding disc. But you need to put bushings on each end to distribute the pressure of the centers. I was asking if bushings were used, and not just putting the blank between the centers, which would cause flaring on the ends. OP states that he used the trimmer AFTER sanding and polishing the blank.

I think we are all trying to help Mark solve a problem we cannot see. I offered my humble opinion, and have no more to offer.

MPVic

Thank you to one & all for your input - it is greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to somehow get pics next time - maybe borrow my daughters camera!

Top Bottom