Barracuda Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Wasn't sure where to put this. It is a tool I guess. I bought a PSI Barracuda CSC2000C chucking system from Amazon and it had excessive runout which made all 4 sets of jaws wobble when used. Sending it back for a replacement.
Any one have these initial problems much with this item? The little jaws inside the chuck itself do not come together properly, the 1,2,4 jaw come together and the 3 jaw is about 3/64 shy of closing.

I hope the replacement works out. Thanks for listening.

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Ray, I have a 1, 2 and 4 and they are all great! One thing that can cause runout or chuck wobble has to do with the thread seat. I'm not sure why exactly (this was explained by a member here years ago and I don't remember the particulars now), but I know the solution works. When I got my new Cuda2 last week, it looked like it too had runout. Then I remembered the trick. It seems that some chucks (both scroll and collet) do not like to be seated all the way back on the headstock spindle. This was the case with my Cuda2. I cut a washer to fit between the chuck and headstock spundle and this fixed the problem completely. I used a thin mouse pad with a hard plastic layer, but you can use anything that you know has parallel surfaces. You can find them at The Wooden Post along with an short explanation of why they are important.

Oh, these washers also serve to make removing the chuck easier since the metal to metal interface is reduced.

Last edited:

ironman123

Thanks for the info Billy B.

I sent it back already. When I get the replacement and it wobbles, I will remember this info.

PS I saw your photos of all your wood. WOW.

Ray

lorbay

Bowl slinger, I do not understand what you mean about Monday or Friday. Please explain.

Ray
On a Monday, tis the 1st day back from the weekend so working is the pits, thus crappy workmanship and Friday, Weeeelll this is the day before the weekend so like Monday work is (^&^%&^$%%#) and you don't want to be there so, workmanship is crappy once again. :biggrin:.

Lin.

KenV

Have found some problens with one of 3 of the barracuda chucks. Odd are that you will get an acceptable one.

bitshird

We have a CSC2000C with the full set of jaws, and if you are just starting out, they are better than nothing, BUT don't expect too great of accuracy, in fact the pin jaws on my Novas are kind of wonky as well both sets, but other than that I love the Nova G3 much more than my SN2, In all fairness I was warned about the Super Nova 2, but was just too smart to listen, The cuda is a copy of the original Nova Midi chuck, just not as well made.
When I grow up I want an Axminister, to go along with the new Powermatic 2442B which I will purchase with the winnings from the lottery, (first I gotta sell some pens, bowls and a lot of tools so I can have the extra 2 bucks for a Lottery ticket) :biggrin:

ironman123

Well, I got the replacement chuck from Amazon last evening and have spent most of the day trying to get it to turn close to centered. I have tried just the chuck and get a little off center, with a 1/8th inch thick acetal washer behind it and get more off center.

I was going to get 3 washers from Woodenpost but the shipping was about $2 something more that the price of the washers so I made one from 1.25 inch diameter acetal rod. His is HDPE (polyeurathane),...I could make one from Nylon rod (thermo plastic). I will do that also

Will make one tomorrow from a mouse pad (a little spongy), and another from Nylon rod.

I never thought it would be that much trouble to get a Barracuda centered.

Another report tomorrow night.

Ray

alamocdc

Ray, 1/6" may be a little thick. All you need is about 1/16" really to keep the threads from bottoming out. My new Cuda2 isn't perfect, but it's still more true than 2 SuperNovas I tried. And I can live with a few thousandths.

ironman123

Well after trying all the washers, the chuck seems to run more true without any of them. Guess I will keep it for a while.

Ray

alamocdc

I'm at a loss, Ray. One would think there was little likelihood of getting 2 bad chucks in a row, but it happened to me with the SuperNova2 so I guess anything is possible.

Top Bottom