Baron pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

I have a pen that is problematic. I need to recut the threads on the nib section where it goes into the body. The nib has chrome plating and is too thick. The threads need to be recut to clear them enough to screw into the body. So my question is, what size die would I need to accomplish this?

magpens

Sounds like this is a fountain pen. . Please confirm. . It's a metric thread.

I do not have such a kit on hand. . You would need to use calipers to measure the outside of the threads, DD.D . Then you would need a thread gauge set to measure the pitch of the threads 0.PP

Combining these measurements you would have the thread specs as MDD.Dx0.PPmm

A typical metric spec would look like M10.5x0.75mm, where the M indicates "metric" and the mm means "millimeters"

You could then look for the die (and tap, if desired) on the Victornet.com website

Last edited:

Gregory Hardy

Barons are not "common threads." If the plating is too thick, you might try buffing a bit...but BEWARE: You will buff all of the plating off. (A die will certainly cut through the plating.) Save yourself a lot of heartache and buy another kit for the parts. I make fifty of those pens a year. About one in fifty is as you describe. (Sorry you drew the low card first time out, brother. Time to drop back ten and punt.)

ldubia

Barons are not "common threads." If the plating is too thick, you might try buffing a bit...but BEWARE: You will buff all of the plating off. (A die will certainly cut through the plating.) Save yourself a lot of heartache and buy another kit for the parts. I make fifty of those pens a year. About one in fifty is as you describe. (Sorry you drew the low card first time out, brother. Time to drop back ten and punt.)

This is far from my first. I have turned approximately 400 of them and have had no problems till now. I had a similar problem with a Jr Gent 2 a while back.
I tried wire brushing with no luck. I may hit it with a file. Or not. I was hoping someone may have a die answer for me but apparently not. Oh well. Thanks all.

Top Bottom