Barn oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here is a pen I finished up, which was an order for a friend. The oak is from a 100+ year old barn, and is sentimental to my friend, as he was involved in a service project where he helped demolish the remaining barn structure, and built a new building (I think some type of community outreach associated with his church). He supplied me with a Bock titanium nib, and I made the clip from titanium, which I sandblasted to match the nib. For the liner of the cap and barrel, cap threads, finial, and grip, I poured a dark gray alumilite. I also made a little pen rest from the wood. Both the wood and pen rest are finished with oil, as my friend wanted a more natural look.
The pen is about 1/2 diameter at the cap threads, and approximately 5.25" capped.
3D3CAB5C-168D-4361-8C41-C58E68DCE844.jpeg
08DBDA0B-0CEB-48CC-818D-271BA702BBB8.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

You do some outstanding work John, and each pen you make is pretty special , but I would have to say that pen is probably my favourite .

MRDucks2

I enjoy what salvaged wood so often reveals. I saw barn oak, clicked on it, looked at the photos and thought "huh, this guys work looks a lot like John Albert's". THEN I noticed it was yours. Quite Nice.

Pierre---

The flow line of section and barrel - including threads - are the best ones I ever saw. Congrats John!

howsitwork

Like the flow of the lines and the matt finish. So different to 5he usual high gloss and, if anything , more spectacular for that. Wonderful work

egnald

Greetings - Isn't it cool how making something from sentimental wood makes you feel inside. There are a couple of notes and special Slimline pens on the shelf in my workshop that my two sons will find some day. I made them from a piece of oak that I salvaged from the highchair that they sat in 20 years ago. The pen you made is very nice indeed! - Dave

Last edited:

KenB259

Greetings - Isn't it cool how making something from sentimental wood makes you feel inside. There are a couple of notes and special Slimline pens on the shelf in my workshop that my two sons will find some day. I made them from a piece of oak that I salvaged from the highchair that they sat in 20 years ago. The pen you made is very nice indeed! - Dave

There will be tears when the day comes that those pens are found. They will become treasured items.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom