Barn find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbledsoe

At least I told my wife that it is like finding a 1966 Corvette in your neighbor's barn. I found a 1986 Powermatic 66 table saw in a neighbor's shed, in several pieces. I think it is all there and I think I can put it back together. It has the 5hp, 3ph motor, which I don't have the power for, but I think I can get around that also. I got it into my garage last night and started cleaning it up. Lots of rust and sawdust caked inside. The motor and blade turn freely, though, and the blade height and tilt work pretty well.
Anybody have one of these and care to share advice on what to do to (with) it?
Yes, I would rather have the Corvette, but this is good, too. BTW, I paid $600 for it. I think that's pretty good, considering what they are going for online.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Those saws are bullet proof. PM was US made back then and very highly regarded. Being 5HP / 3 ph, it is almost certainly saw industrial use. I'd check bearings and arbor runout right away and replace anything if needed. That saw is well designed and superbly built. Price was a bargain.

Oh, BTW, I agree with the guys earlier........No pics didn't happen!

Last edited:

dbledsoe

Finally got a chance to do some pics. It was pretty cruddy inside, but it seems to be cleaning up nicely. I can't find any play in the arbor or trunnion, so I think I will just clean it real good and put it back together. The top has some rust, but it is just surface rust. I hope it cleans up as well.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 267
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 291
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 262

KenV

Sounds like you are a candidate for a Variable Frequency Drive to make that 5 Hp 3 Phase run like a champ on a 220 Single Phase power supply.

There are "buszz boxes" that will phase convert more cheaply, and with more noise, but the ability to program the motor speed, start up and slow down rates and other good things like quiet are likely worth the price.

Make sure you have amps for 5HP+ on your wire size and breaker

Top Bottom