Bare Bones - Back to Basics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
:biggrin: LOL, you're either gonna love this one or absolutely detest it.:rolleyes:
But just for a bit of fun..........:)

Below is a pic of ALL the parts, in fact 3 bits of these parts won't be used.
There are 2 x 316 Stainless Steel arc welding rods, 2 x 6mm S/S Dome nuts, 2 x S/S 6mm bolts, 2 x S/S 6mm nuts, Slimline refill, 1/2 a spring

The only tools that are used are
1. Drill press
2. Vice
3. Hammer
4. Pliers
5. 6mm tap and wrench
6. Hacksaw
7. Sandpaper

The bits not used will be the bolt heads and the blue plastic part of the refill. The refill will retract.

I'll let your imagination run wild for a bit, then post what I came up with. See if you have the same daft streak in you as me:biggrin:

Attachments

• BareBones.jpg
    BareBones.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 408
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Neil, there is a powder flux coating that is cracked off.

Here's what I came up with....
The 'finial' advances the refill. The front threads are 'fixed' and do nothing but match the back end. The nib unscrews to change the refill:biggrin:

My wife just told me that it was quote; 'One of the most stupid things you've made'

Jeesh, I didn't think it was that bad:redface::biggrin:

Attachments

• BareBones2.jpg
    BareBones2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 485
  • BareBones3.jpg
    BareBones3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 435
  • Bones4.jpg
    Bones4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 448

Rollerbob

Earlier thread you said you would be playing with your nuts!!:eek: Awkwardly neat looking!:wink::biggrin: Does it come with a tool kit?:confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skippy,

Any time someone labels it "one of the most ......", it indicates that it HAS excelled.

So, take it as a compliment and THANK her!!!!
(Besides, it throws them off, when you react positively!!)

bracky1

Superb :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But I have to question the mental stability of the brain that could conceive such a freakish design. Baron von Frankenstein himself would shudder :wink:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
There was a commercially made pen that was rather expensive that looked a bit like this. I don't remember who made it, but it was one of the big name luxury pen makers. I thought maybe Rotring but am not really sure.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I like the design, I was heading in a different direction. I was sort of heading towards a little more comfortable pen to use for a while.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, I know that it's as ugly as sin, but strangely it is actually very comfortable and easy to hold. :biggrin: Hmm, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:tongue:
But hey, watcha expect for just an hours work :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Skippy, not you prettiest but defiantly one of your most unique. Your mind travels in a different planet than most.

drjpawlus

I have been working on developing brush handles for several years now and have found that a triangular grip actually fits the hand better, so I could totally see this as being quite comfortable to hold. Like the industrial look!

rjwolfe3

Personally I like it. I just wish I could think of stuff like that. I could have the same pile of parts and a week later it would still be a pile of parts, lol.

tim self

Skip, you have TOO much time on your hands. At least your mind isn't idle, twisted maybe but never idle. Keep it up, gives us a smile.

ldb2000

Skippy , that has to be one of the most ridiculous looking pens you've ever made . I think the cartridge contest warped your mind , or what's left of it :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

I LOVE IT !!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

PenPal

Skippy

Definitely out of left overs bit of a hoarder myself having made pens from nut crackers to aluminium darts,etc and lately from reinforcement bars. I have a screamer in train you will absolutely love. We all admire your skill with stainless steel and really look forward to the next pen. Someone asked me recently why to that I replied because I can. I know you can and do.

great thinking regards Peter.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for that link Eric.:wink: There are some crazy pens there for sure.
Did you watch the video on the 'Falter 2D'? LOL, talk about 'kit' pens:biggrin:

I've bookmarked the site for future 'reference':wink:

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Definately ultra tech' that one sort of looks like a pen with an "exo" skeleton :) . My thought was that if you put six rods instead of three it would be a bit more "upmarket" hehe. Did you have to glue the rods into the nuts, or just a tight fit ? In any case it certainly is an inspirational concept ,cheers ~ John :biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOL, I know that it's as ugly as sin, but strangely it is actually very comfortable and easy to hold. :biggrin: Hmm, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:tongue:
But hey, watcha expect for just an hours work :biggrin:

Lets see - for an hours work, two nuts, two bolts, a couple of welding rods, a spring and a refill - My machinist would charge me a couple of hundred dollars! :eek:

Its Original for sure! And I like it!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skippy: I think I know but am not for sure??

Why the need for #5??

LOL, I was wondering if any one would ask that:biggrin:

Once I drilled the holes in the edges (sides?) of the nuts I put a 5mm drill shaft into the nuts and pounded the rod so that it mushroomed a bit onto the drill shaft. I then used the tap to clean up the thread in the nut and at the same time cut threads into the ends of the rods. I did just one at a time. No glue. I was going to try and solder them, but my little soldering wouldn't be up to it.:biggrin:

DAVIDDECHRISTOPHER

Local Chapter Leader
Verry intresting I would like to see it with a wood body with the support rods exposed on the out side also electropolish the hardware! Nice idear.

leaycraft

Brilliant!, wish i could try it- gotta love the unique- mc guiverish approach. I'm still learning, but I have found that even tho it may have self destructed, chipped , split, CA and some thinking make a pen I can use and to date, haven't made the same error twice. End result - some OK pens for me and 1 or 2 for others as gifts.
I really am impressed by the work I see here - gives me something to emulate.

Almost afraid to ask because you may either a) do it or b) challenge me to try but i can you make a pen out of leeks? best John

Top Bottom