BAPB (Big A** Pine Bowl) #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

A while back I posted about scoring some real big pine and promising the wood provider a bowl when complete. The wood comes from a storm damaged tree he planted about 50 yrs ago when his 1st son was born.

Well, it dried faster than I expected and I spent last week refining the bowl and finishing. It stands about 5 1/2" tall by 13 1/2" across. Real work to manhandle this big a blank but worth it! Not perfect, but I like it.

Leaving to deliver. C&C welcome, as always
attachment.php

attachment.php

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

It is very nice now that I can see it! Tough to turn with that big knot! Nice clean lines. You did good! I am sure he will appreciate it!

robutacion

Yes, very clean lines, simple but, pleasing..!

I like Pine and work with it, there are many varieties of Pines and each one has certain characteristics that make it special.

The colours on the pics aren't natural, far too much yellow/brightness however, the grain looks identical to the Stone Pine variety but, may be something else...!

Well done...!

Cheers
George

George - yes, there are many "pines". Some folk call any conifer a "pine" whether it be pine, fir, spruce or other. However, this is, indeed, pine but I don't know the exact species.

As to color, it may be a bit on the yellow side, but it is actually pretty close. When I post pics from my digital camera I often need to modify the exposure to brighten the image. I only added a stop here. And color balance seemed pretty close, too. I did modify slightly to get it closer to what I saw in the viewfinder. Of course it will change with time and light, but I like the appearance of fresh pine as much as older wood. Each has it's own special characteristic.

Top Bottom