Banksia Reject Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Over the past several years I have sold 3,000 - 3,500 blanks as an IAP Fundraiser. As these blanks were acquired as a bulk purchase (25+ boxes stuffed into my car), we give no guarantees of their quality, labeled species, or "inner beauty." In a recent sale, I did receive a PM that one of the blanks was not as impressive as was expected. I happily swapped the ugly blank with another and all was fine.

The blank in question was labeled "Banksia," and it was indeed very unimpressive. It had a sticky coating like wax that had degraded, and had dried into a noticeable curve. I suspect the blank was purchased in the 2005-2008 era. In the spirit of curiosity and boredom, I decided to turn it anyway.

... I'll be looking for any more of these "Ugly Blanks."

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Mark, that is a very nice looking pen, now I can hardly wait to turn the one you sent me. I was very surprised to see it, but I was also very pleased to own it. Now, if I can only find a place to set up my lathe, I'd be ready to turn. It'll probably be next summer before I get to do any type of woodworking, hopefully by then, I will still have to knowledge of how to do so.

Len

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, that is a very nice looking pen, now I can hardly wait to turn the one you sent me. I was very surprised to see it, but I was also very pleased to own it. Now, if I can only find a place to set up my lathe, I'd be ready to turn. It'll probably be next summer before I get to do any type of woodworking, hopefully by then, I will still have to knowledge of how to do so.

Len
Len,
There were only a small amount of these blanks 8-10, and they were included in the random boxes. I agree that they are not overtly impressive, but I was pleased with the grain pattern. And while Banksia Pods are well known as a turning material, I have not seen Banksia wood before.

Have fun.

magpens

Beaut result, eh ? . Were you surprised it turned out that nice ?

@howsitwork

The click pen Mark showed is made with the PSI Duraclick EDC pen kit ... quite new ... just released earlier this year.

bsshog40

I really like that Mark! That knot has a beautiful pattern. I never throw away ugly wood. You never know what's inside until you turn it. Nice pen!

tiggere

Mark put me down on that ugly blank program as well...LOL

That pen is beautiful...love that grain pattern...

1shootist

Great looking pen..I love the spiderweb pattern !

I had a rough, curled blank in my batch of IAP fundraiser blanks..no name was written on it..and if I am remembering correctly it was wrapped in cellophane or the likes...I turned it down, did lose a little piece in the middle which still left more than enough for a 2 piece pen. The blank has a beautiful pattern of light and dark colors, completely different from its look before turning. The taped together pieces are in my "try not to screw these up blanks cause you dont have another" box till I decide on the right pen.

DrD

Mark, I'm a little late to the post, but I'd be willing to help you here. You're too nice a person to be stuck with something so ugly, so, just ship it down to me and you won't have to fret over it any more.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hello Mark and what's that story about the ugly duckling?
Love that grain
Alan

As I remember it. The Ugly came out ahead! Hmnnnn......

Great looking pen..I love the spiderweb pattern !

I had a rough, curled blank in my batch of IAP fundraiser blanks..no name was written on it..and if I am remembering correctly it was wrapped in cellophane or the likes...I turned it down, did lose a little piece in the middle which still left more than enough for a 2 piece pen. The blank has a beautiful pattern of light and dark colors, completely different from its look before turning. The taped together pieces are in my "try not to screw these up blanks cause you dont have another" box till I decide on the right pen.

There were quite a few of the "Estate Blanks" that were partially wrapped in cellophane. Many had no species marked. While I could not peddle those for higher prices, I suspect they were of nice quality and of unusual species.

I hope yours were better than expected.

Mark, I'm a little late to the post, but I'd be willing to help you here. You're too nice a person to be stuck with something so ugly, so, just ship it down to me and you won't have to fret over it any more.

PBorowick

Mark! I want my ugly blank back!!!! Just to make it easy on you, you can just leave it on the pen.....I won't mind.

Seriously though, that is a very nice looking pen. I really like the grain pattern!!

and no, it was not my blank....but I'm wishing it was

robutacion

Len,
There were only a small amount of these blanks 8-10, and they were included in the random boxes. I agree that they are not overtly impressive, but I was pleased with the grain pattern. And while Banksia Pods are well known as a turning material, I have not seen Banksia wood before.

Have fun.
G'day Mark,

Well, I have been having Banksia wood #45 for sale for many years, the wood is indeed from the trees that produce my Hairy Banksia pods, on my "timbers list" I say Hairy Banksia pods from my own yard, at the time I listed the pods I still had no wood from those trees but after some time the trees overgrow to places that I didn't so and because I had a large stock of pods I gave the 2 Banksia trees I have a huge "hair cut" so much so that these trees did not produce any decent pods for 3 years and I'm getting to the point now where I may have to cut at least a large limb right from the trunk, these things grow very fast.

Anyway, I just thought you should know...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'day Mark,

Well, I have been having Banksia wood #45 for sale for many years, the wood is indeed from the trees that produce my Hairy Banksia pods, on my "timbers list" I say Hairy Banksia pods from my own yard, at the time I listed the pods I still had no wood from those trees but after some time the trees overgrow to places that I didn't so and because I had a large stock of pods I gave the 2 Banksia trees I have a huge "hair cut" so much so that these trees did not produce any decent pods for 3 years and I'm getting to the point now where I may have to cut at least a large limb right from the trunk, these things grow very fast.

Anyway, I just thought you should know...!

Cheers
George

Hi George. I should have suspected if anyone would have Banksia it would be you! Make perfect sense. I bet your blanks are in much better condition that the ones I had, but I'm pleased with how this one turned out.

Be well Mate.

robutacion

Hi George. I should have suspected if anyone would have Banksia it would be you! Make perfect sense. I bet your blanks are in much better condition that the ones I had, but I'm pleased with how this one turned out.

Be well Mate.
Hi Mark,

No problem but I keep wondering where those blanks you have could have come from, is not often that I see anyone offering this type of wood for sale, however, it may have been someone that had a Banksia tree that was either cut or trimmed at some point and that wood being salvaged and made into pen blanks, either way, Banksia wood can have unusual grains and colours some even look like snake skins...!

Cheers
George

howsitwork

Well that's going on my next request list to Ray for sure. I like the results of Banksia but not the itching from the fairs when turning it. i was so glad I got my original air helmet when I tried turning them! Even with steroid cream after showering I itched for a day or so on the exposed skin areas.

Top Bottom