Banksia Pod Spheres

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I've been having fun turning spheres. I have a jig but I don't use it. I started by watching Soren Berger on Youtube. I couldn't find his sphere calipers anywhere. But thankfully I found a tutorial by D.J. Gooding published in 2016 which takes the elements present in the sphere calipers and puts it into a graph. ( D.J. Gooding Sphere Graph ) It's really a great method. Soren Berger has a video on Youtube that visually shows the process. (Soren Berger Sphere Turning ) The Banksia pods are a mess to turn (wear a respirator) but they're a lot of fun. I'm officially a sphere nerd!

Attachments

• Banksia 01.jpg
    Banksia 01.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 244
  • Banksia 02.jpg
    Banksia 02.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great job on the spheres! Welcome to the club!!
The Banksia pod spheres are definitely an eye catcher.
Edit....Also super choice on background đź‘Ť

robutacion

Way cool, it reminds me of when I got the "bug" for turning wooden eggs, I created a "simple" jig that makes the job a breeze and there is no wasted wood around the shop, I have since stopped making them and has been years since I have done one even though the wife has a couple of wooden bowls full of wooden eggs made with all sorts of woods, colours and grains show well in these type of pieces.

Cheers
George

Dieseldoc

Got inspired from my friend Martin and his sphere's, so found piece of junk wood which was construction grade fir and whipped out this sphere.
As I was turning found a hard spot on the tools, inspection resulted a nail just below the knot.
IMG_1163.jpg

Got inspired from my friend Martin and his sphere's, so found piece of junk wood which was construction grade fir and whipped out this sphere.
As I was turning found a hard spot on the tools, inspection resulted a nail just below the knot.View attachment 220234

OUCH!!! That had to be hard on your tools. I found a bullet not long ago when I was resawing some wood. I thought that was pretty cool.

Top Bottom