Bang Bang. Longrifle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

edstreet

For some here, probably, the Longrifle is not a good friend. To many they are some foreign alien concept and have never seen one or anything related. Tho a real 'long rifle' itself is a rifle I decided to use my Howdah SXS pistol instead because well it's a work of art and a beauty in and of itself.

IMG_9312.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9305.JPG

IMG_9300.JPG

This pen is going to the local longrifle club that I am a member of for the turkey shoot in November, it's likely to be a raffle but not 100% sure at this point.

I put the barrel DOWNRANGE which means towards the NIB.

Before anyone ask let me answer a few questions.

YES the howdah is legal to own, it falls under antique and black powder.

YES the Howdah is 100% functional, I built it myself and I do use it at the range.

YES she shoots good.

NO she does not blow off your arm, you can put very little powder in it or a huge amount. We put very little in to stretch the powder because it is not cheap.

YES it is a double barrel shotgun.

YES that is hand carvings and oak leafs with acorns.

YES the barrel is 'original finish' which is rust brown. Blue and park came MUCH later.

NO there was no blue or park in long rifles, commonly they used apple cider to flash rust the steel parts and added beeswax to seal everything up good.

Enjoy,

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Here is some shots I took with a Kentucky longrifle and a Kentucky pistol. These were used during and after the American revolutionary war. This is the rifle that won the war and the stuff of legends. This particular rifle I am not finished with yet, it is still a work in progress. I still have temp screws and pins in place, the barrel is not in this one as it is outside in a rust brown solutions aging.

IMG_9328.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

The box on the rear of the stock is a patch box. It was used to store patches, which went around the round lead ball that was shoved down the bore.

IMG_9325.JPG

Inside the patch box, many sizes/shapes to this box to. Note the inlay kit does *NOT* have a patch box. Many did not have them, it was more labor intensive to add one. All this was done with *NO* electric tools.

IMG_9333.JPG

IMG_9334.JPG

Here we have the rifle and pistol together. This is an epic duo.

IMG_9322.JPG

NO the ramrod attachment does NOT get in the way of firing.

IMG_9321.JPG

Rust brown! This looks like a good chocolate bar and delicious, this adds to the appeal. Iron sights, steel frizzen and leather gripped flint.

For those who has never seen on in action this is how the color case hardened lock works.
Flintlock.gif

jasontg99

Ed,

Your pics are far too clear. The pen is slightly underturned and not pressed in all the way at the nib end. YES, I am nitpicking. Awesome pen and gorgeous pics!!!

Jason

Wright

Ed, those are great pictures and a nice collection of firearms! Like the pen to. Is the rifle on the pen a decal or inlay? Great work!

Top Bottom